Chapter 29: Neveah Meets Jake's Father

★ ☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

"Excuse me can you tell me what room Jake Santiago is in?" Shawn asked the receptionist who was sitting behind the desk.

"Are you a guardian of his?" The lady asked as she typed onto the computer.

Neveah tapped her foot impatiently, wanting to get to Jake as soon as possible. Farkle felt her emotions and reached over to grab her hand in hopes to calm her down.

"W-well no, not legally- but I'm close enough to be." Shawn stated which was the truth, whenever Shawn would FaceTime Jake was usually around and would get to speak to Shawn. Shawn was very fond of Jake, and would consider himself claiming Jake as his son.

The lady looked up from the computer and gave them a sympathetic smile. "Well I'm sorry sir but I don't think I can-"

"Listen here lady, we're the only family Jake has. My Godfather is basically Jake's father and has been his adult figure while his deadbeat father was out somewhere. I know our other friends are up there in his room, I just want to see my brother. So can you please, please have some sympathy and allow us to see if he's okay?" Neveah snapped.

The lady looked at her in shock, but regardless nodded her head to much of the three's relief. The woman typed on her computer for a couple of seconds before reading what was on the screen. "Jake Santiago right?" They nodded their heads. "He's on the third floor. Room 302."

Shawn nodded his head in thanks before motioning to the two teens to walk.

They quickly made their way to the elevator, Neveah was using Farkle as her wall not that he minded at all as he drew random shapes on her arm. When the elevator doors open Neveah was the first to pull away from Farkle and made her out of the elevator and searching for Jake's room door.

It wasn't that hard to find as he was the third door, she knocked on it and a second later it was open to reveal a stressed Lucas with tears in his eyes. Neveah's eyes teared up immediately and walked into his arms as they both needed comfort for each other. Lucas pulled Neveah deeper into the room with Farkle and Shawn following slowly. Farkle noticed that everyone was there, Maya and Riley were at the end of the hospital bed, Topanga, Cory, and Auggie were behind Riley and Maya but on the wall and Carmen was on Jake's bedside checking on Jake's vitals as the hispanic boy was lying down asleep.

"Mom?" Neveah rasped out as tears fell from her eyes, Carmen turned around with a sad look on her face.

"Hey baby." Carmen moved away from Jake showing the upper part of his body, Neveah let out a gasp as she saw Jake's face. His face was bruised, a black eye, a busted lip, his left cheek was swollen with a cut that was cleaned up and had three small bandages covering it. She looked down to see Jake's left arm with a cast on it. Neveah quickly replaced her mom's spot by the bedside as Carmen walked over to Shawn.