Chapter Fourteen - Project Sarcasm

^^ Kylie's POV ^^

It was just another beautiful morning like any other. Blaring and perpetual beeping noises, knocking hammers, and electric drills made music to my ears, waking me up at the ungodly hour of six. I was beyond overjoyed to wake up at this early in the morning.

Not.

I groaned, rolled over, and hid my head under the pillow, trying to block out the sounds. I was suddenly reminded of my parents' decision to remodel the kitchen. As for why they wanted to begin their project at six in the morning, I had no clue.

"Why?" I mumbled drowsily to myself and rolled over when I realized that sleep was impossible. I sluggishly plopped onto the floor, leaving the warmth of my beautiful bed. I felt as if I betrayed the trusts of my blankets and entered the cold world.

I walked over to my closet and picked out a random hoodie and sweatpants. I didn't even brush my hair before pulling it up into a ponytail. I glowered at the mirror as I brushed my teeth.

When I reached downstairs, I immediately called out, "Hello, parents, why are you making such a ruckus this early in the morning? What's the hurry?"

My mother glanced up from where she was. "We want to finish this in two days. That means that we have to start right away."

"That also means that qthe kitchen is off limits for these next two days," my father added. My stomach whined in protest. What about breakfast? My mother must've sensed my silent question and gave me a bowl.

"You can eat cereal in the dining room," she suggested, attempting to shoo me out of the kitchen.

I begrudgingly took the bowl, scrammed, and wolfed down my breakfast. I ended up washing my bowl in the bathroom sink, making sure I cleaned it up well before rinsing. Meanwhile, I felt like my ears were ringing due to the loud noises. I might as well leave now.

"Bye," I called out before leaving, although I don't know if my parents heard me over the roar of noises. I went into the cold garage and hopped into my car, which I had gotten fixed a few weeks ago. Then, I drove into the street, where the awaiting photographers were - still - waiting for me.

~~~

"Psst, Kylie."

"Oh please, will you shut up?" I hissed quietly at my neighbor, trying - and failing - at paying attention in class. Xavier poked me again, ignoring my command.

"You didn't answer my question," he insisted before asking again. "Why'd you go to the play?"

At this point, I just gave in and gave him an answer. "I was only there to see Hannah die," I whispered, watching as his face fell slightly. What I said was true, albeit it was not the whole truth. I had actually been a little curious about Xavier's acting skills and thought to see him perform live. Also, Kenna had coerced me to go because Xavier was in the cast.

But I didn't say the first reason because he might overthink the fact. He might think I was secretly obsessed with him or something. Which I wasn't.

"Ms. Jensen!" my teacher called sharply. I immediately snapped my attention back to the front, giving Xavier a glare on the way. Once I faced my teacher, I gave him an exaggerated smile.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Since you and Mr. Monroe seem to be having such deep conversation, I almost regret assigning you two as partners," he said, making the entire class disappointed - disappointed over Xavier not being their partner. Meanwhile, I was wondering what project he was talking about and why on earth he paired us together.