Chapter Eighteen - Unspoken Thoughts

^^Kylie's POV^^

Xavier's lips were surprisingly soft against mine. I was too stunned beyond belief to react properly.

Xavier Monroe was kissing me. His warm lips were touching mine. His arms were wrapped around me, surrounding me with his scent and presence. When he had muttered something about screwing a speech, the last thing I had expected was that he would plant his lips on mine.

My stomach flipped at his proximity and my heart raced uncontrollably. Yet, it took me a few long seconds before I acted. My hands slid up his chest as I debated pushing him away, but his kiss made me hesitate. There was something about the kiss that made me want to continue.

Finally, I closed my eyes and gave into his lips, raising my own arms to loop around the back of his neck. I felt myself pressing against him. His hands rested against my hips, pulling me closer. I let go of my anger, frustration, and thoughts, and relaxed against his mouth.

His hands moved back up to cup my face and weave his fingers through my hair. I felt my back press against the locked door, which didn't interrupt our kiss at all. In fact, Xavier had the nerve to try to gently nip at my lip.

Why the hell was he such a good kisser? I could easily lose track of time because of him.

But the better question was: why the hell was I responding so eagerly? What was I even doing? This is the same boy that aggravates me almost every other day.

Xavier must have sensed my new reluctance because he kissed me once more before pulling away. I felt much cooler out of his embrace; I almost yearned to feel the warmth of his body against mine again. Almost, because I needed a can of self-control.

He nervously stared into my eyes, revealing his darkened blue eyes. I saw him gulp, his Adam's apple bobbing. He looked like he wanted to admit to something.

"I like you, Kylie," he confessed, making my heart pound erratically again. "That's why I care so much. That's why I'm so sorry that I said that to you."

I was still speechless. I didn't even know what to say. If he hadn't kissed me before he confessed, I doubt I'd have believed him. Even now, I wasn't sure if this was some sick prank. Surely he didn't like me. I didn't give him any reason to, unless he was obsessed with the fact that I had single-handedly demolished half of his ego.

"Why?" I asked, thoroughly confused. "Why in the world would you like me? I don't think I've ever been nice to you. So unless you're some sort of person who enjoys that, I don't understand why you have some sort of fascination with me."

Xavier patiently listened to me before answering. "I'll be honest. That was my first thought when I realized I liked you," he admitted, his face reddening slightly. Or maybe it was simply the lighting that made me see that.

"But you are so true to yourself. You don't take any shit from anyone. And I admire that," he complimented.

Now, my face was the one to turn red and warm. It wasn't that I never received any compliments - although they were usually from family and friends - but this is Xavier confessing that he likes me after a kiss. But what about me? How did I feel? My thoughts were simply a jumbled mess right now. Kind of like spaghetti, but worse.

I must have been overthinking about it for too long because the nervous look reappeared on his face. "Kylie, please say something," he pleaded. I looked back into his icy blue eyes, which were ironically filled with fire and passion. The same fire and passion that seemed to be directed at me.