Chapter Fifteen - Flickering Jealousy

*Xavier's POV*

Apparently, we were going on a field trip to the Ordway Theatre in St. Paul. Most of the seniors in the school, with a grand total of a ninety three, were going. It was a school-sanctioned fun day. We were going there to see a magic show.

The only drawback was that we were required to take the school bus there. The school didn't want all of us to drive there, even if we carpooled. It was simply too easy to lose track of students that way. The downside with taking the school bus was that it placed me in a tight space with over-eager people. Not to mention that we were trapped in a moving metal machine.

"No! I want to sit behind him!" a girl screeched, obviously referring to me. Either that, or she meant Hunter. Another girl argued with her demand, wanting to sit behind me as well.

"No, you have biology with him. I don't have a single class with him. I deserve to be in his presence," she argued.

To be honest, I was terrified of those types of people. I was truly honored that they desired to be next to me. But I knew they wouldn't hesitate to play tug of war with me and rip me apart to satisfy their need. Maybe I should have made a bigger case to the teacher about getting a separate ride. But no, Hunter had convinced me to go with the flow.

He had even called me a wimp to separate myself from them. As long as he suffered through the same conditions as me, I'd be content. It has been at least a few years since I last rode a school bus. I've been on tour buses these past few years, but not school buses and certainly not with this many of my peers.

And speak of the devil.

Hunter boarded the bus, inciting more excitement from the people aboard. He gave them a grin and found me at the front. Without saying anything, he slid into the seat next to me, filling in the precious space. I was relieved about his choice, given that now the girls wouldn't be fighting over who sat next to me.

Although, I suppose, I could easily persuade them to stop fighting amongst themselves.

Before I could act upon that thought, a teacher boarded and quickly called attendance. The bus had to lower its volume so that people could hear their names. As soon as the teacher finished, the bus lurched forward as the driver began the journey to the capital city.

I could hear a few groans from those who felt dissatisfied with their seating arrangements. From beside me, Hunter smirked. He must be pleased with their enthusiasm.

"The attention never seems to go away, huh," Hunter casually stated. I nodded my head in agreement.

"The luxury of movie stars and teen actors," I replied. Both Hunter and I had hit the Hollywood jackpot when we were invited to star in more professional films. Before that, we had acted on a teen television show, where we met.

My last movie ended a few months ago, back in August. Then school started and my mom sent me here to Minnesota. As for Hunter, he was supposed to return to California in the spring sometime.

I decided to ask him about that. "So what's your next show?"

Hunter looked at me. "The usual: spies, missions, and international trips," he answered.

For the first time, I was slightly envious of him. The action movies that he participated in seemed more exciting than the romance ones I usually starred in. But, according to my publicist, I was eye candy and one with acting talent.

Also, Kylie preferred action movies over romance ones, once again expressing her personality. Her very sarcastic and almost violent personality.

I was reminded of the WWI project we had to do. At one point, I got distracted and started watching YouTube videos. Kylie didn't hesitate to demonstrate how annoyed she was at my lack of attention when she walked over to the couch, grabbed a pillow, and threw it at my head.