Chapter Ten - Fan-freaking-tastic

^^Kylie's POV^^

It started with the phone calls. My cousins, the ones around my age, called me, asking about my relationship with Xavier.

To their disappointment, I told them what I've been saying for the past few days: yes, that was me, and no, we are not a couple. That response was drilled into my head and I'm sure that one day, if someone gives me a funny look, I'll end up giving the little speech.

I was already repeating myself to the paparazzi that have already found out where I lived. Exasperated, my parents managed to get the police to keep the paparazzi a comfortable distance away. They were banned from the block.

The only comfortable distance between me and the paparazzi would be the distance between me and the sun. Either that or they leave me alone. It was as if I didn't have any privacy anymore.

I swear that they have some long distance camera to spy on my house so I made sure to give them the bird if I thought I saw a camera.

Next were strange looks I got in the halls. It was like everyone knew. I didn't realize people were attached to celebrity news. But if everyone knew, that meant they saw more of me than they need to.

Their looks were a mixture between curiosity and envy. Curiosity with me, or rather, a fellow student whom many didn't know a lot about. To most people, I simply appeared out of nowhere, which stunned them.

Which leads to the next step: increasing fame.

Two words on what I think about fame: it sucks. I hate it. I even have a new fan club, which I was now in the process of discovering.

Kenna opened up a tab on her computer and showed me some random blog or social media site. I have no clue which one it is because I don't use any.

On the mysterious site, there was some post that had my picture - where I had an attractive neutral expression - on it. The captions below read: Xavier's New Fling? Has Hollywood's Prince Chosen His New Princess?

I all but groaned at that. The stupid press wouldn't let it go. I have denied and denied and denied and they have ignored me repeatedly.

There were some user comments underneath. Some vehemently cursed at me, and others were completely supportive because I reminded them of themselves: normal. Because I represented hope for the normal people, quoting some random girl from Florida.

Although, I think the worst part of this was being called a princess. A princess, like a damsel in distress that needs saving.

"Look at it this way, it could have been worse," Ally said. Ally - one of my three closest friends - came back this past Monday after her little excursion.

She had missed the explosion but was currently helping me deal with the effects. The three of us were comfortably sitting in a booth in the back corner of the local coffee shop. Kenna had ordered a macchiato, Ally had ordered tea, and I had order hot chocolate - of course.

"How?" I asked, wondering what could possibly be worse.

"The media could have slandered you and your name," Ally suggested.

As much as I'd like to say that I wouldn't - and don't - care about what the world thought of me, I realized that the world was a big place. My school was no big deal. I didn't care about most people's opinion of me because they wouldn't influence my future.

The world, however, could. My future now relied on careful actions because my moves were in the spotlight. One wrong action and that could possibly ruin my chances of getting into a college I want. Or maybe it might affect my employment in the future.