Chapter Twenty Two - A Sick Sight

^^Kylie's POV^^

Layla Evers was nothing like I expected. She was gorgeous, both online and off, but she didn't flaunt it that obvious. Also, she was actually very nice and funny.

When I had opened the door, thinking that Xavier had already come back, I had been confused about the girl on the front door step. She had looked familiar, because of the sleepover at Kenna's house, and it took me to realize that it was her. At first, I had been wary, because she was my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend and she was at the doorstep of his house.

Strangely, the reason she had been there was because of me. According to her, Hunter had let it slip through the phone that Xavier was coming back to California with a new girlfriend in tow. Apparently, Hunter and Layla were friends as well. Layla wanted to meet me, which was why she had arrived at Xavier's house. Luckily for her, she didn't have to ask Xavier if I was with him because I was the one who answered the door.

She had been thoroughly surprised to see me, mostly because she recognized my face from that scandalous picture. Then she smiled and introduced herself, claiming that she got past the gates because she had a key, which she proceeded to leave on the stairs and return it to Xavier's house.

I was suspicious at first, but she reassured me that she wasn't going to intimidate me or try to steal him back. In fact, she said that the only reason she broke up with him was because she couldn't stand a guy who spent more time looking in the mirror than she did. I couldn't help myself but laugh at that, because it did accurately depict Xavier's initial vanity when he had arrived in Minnesota.

After I had managed to warm up to her, we exchanged phone numbers and she proceeded to tell me embarrassing stories about Xavier. Thus why I was laughing my head off when Xavier had come back. Xavier had given me the strangest look when I claimed that Layla was awesome.

It was only after he had pulled me aside that I finally snapped out of my laughing hype. What also helped was Xavier's hesitant request for me to meet his parents. That really sobered me, not that I was drunk or drugged. I had been a little stunned by the invitation.

I, of course, nearly declined at first. I wasn't a social creature, outside of my friends, and the idea of meeting the parents was kind of pressuring to me. But as I contemplated about it, I thought that I might as well do it. Xavier's parents lived in California, which was fairly far from Minnesota. If I didn't accept this offer now, who knows when I get another chance that's as efficient and accessible as now.

Those were the reasons why I had agreed to meet his parents. Xavier had looked relieved that I didn't try to worm my way out of it. After the fairly short meeting with his parents, due to our previously arranged engagements, I didn't regret making the decision to meet them.

Xavier's parents had been very nice. At first, his mom had studied me thoroughly and cautiously. I wasn't surprised. She was probably worried that I was some gold digger or some fame seeker. Xavier's dad was more relaxed and open.

They asked me about school, my values and beliefs, and what my plans were for the future. I told them that I wanted to attend Columbia University for some type of engineering. Safe to say, I think I had passed there because they had seemed impressed with my ambitious goals. From that, they could infer that I wasn't really the type to leech off of people's accomplishments.

After I had informed them of my plans of the future, Xavier's mom warmed up to me completely. Similar to what Layla had done, Xavier's mom painted Xavier in an embarrassing light by showing his baby pictures to me. Xavier's face had been red the entire time as he protested and tried to convince his mother to stop.