『Kamado Tanjiro X Dying! Reader』

I thank you, OfficialAizee one of the things I was hoping to write! Finally, an angst in this book.

Fresh air, I tell you.

ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー

Title: Confessions
Genre: Angst

You were walking along with Tanjiro, to a place you haven't visited yet. Both of you have been assigned to a mission together, and somehow you were excited.

You took a quick glance at the burgundy-haired male next to you, and once he noticed, he gave you a quick smile.

You averted your gaze to somewhere more uninteresting (seeing as Tanjiro is the very person that piqued your interest more often)  as a light coat of pink dusted your cheeks.

It was obvious. You had fallen for the male beside you, yet you don't know if he actually likes you back.

You thought that maybe, he likes Kanao, as everyone said so. It was obvious as well. The way he looks at her and the ways she looks at him. They were really made for each other.

'A perfect pair...'

You tried to tell him how you feel, but that would never actually happen. You don't want to seem like you're being selfish as you also know that your best friend, Kanao, likes him too.

You knew that Kanao has feelings for him too, and you found out about this in a very surprising but disappointing manner.

It was noontime back then at the Butterfly Estate and you were finding Aoi. You passed by a seemingly flustered and concentrated Kanao looking at someone.

You looked at the way she was looking, and was not surprised when you saw Tanjiro in there.

Once you saw, you immediately knew what was going on. The pink tint on Kanao's cheeks only made it appear more clearly.

She has taken a liking to Tanjiro.

You only looked at her, then back at Tanjiro. You thought that they deserved each other, and right then and there, you decided to just leave it be and try to forget about your feelings for the said male.

You knew it was not good to bottle up feelings.

Yet you also knew that going in the way of two people obviously in love with each other  is far worse than that.

You didn't want to be the cause of such happenings, so you just decided on the former.

'Right... If it's for her, I'd do anything just to see her happy. She's been through a lot...'

You felt tears gathering in your eyes as you looked around the place you two were both in right now, thinking about anything except him.

●_●

It was dark when the both of you arrived, and it seems that he must've been thinking about something because along the way, both of you never bothered to speak to each other.

Just the occasional glances and smiles.

Both of you got ready then set out in search of the demon. You had not gone far until you finally found it.

Once it saw you, it immediately went and tried to slice you in half.

Keyword, tried.

Of course, you being the trained slayer, decapitated it before it even went too close for comfort.

Having heard (or rather smelled) the commotion, Tanjiro hurriedly rushed to your aid (seeing as you both set out individually and the demon had not yet come out).

"(L/N)-chan, are you okay?" he asked in a worried tone.

"Actually I-"

You were about to say something but was cut off when you saw that there were still many of them left.

Too many.

And there you realized that this was going to be a long night.

●_●

It was sunrise already, and the mission was a success. To you at least. Yes, it is a success but, with a price to pay.

Success always has a price to pay.

You looked around, seeing all of the demons already turned to ash. You looked at yourself.

You were bleeding. You had a couple of huge cuts on your limbs, had almost all of your ribs badly injured and had even lost one of your eyes.

Yet you were smiling.

The injuries may be too much, seeing as there were too many demons in there and only the two of you to eliminate them.

Both of you tried to call back-up hours ago but to no avail.

You looked at Tanjiro, who seemed to have fainted not far from where you are. You slowly stood up, not minding that when doing so, you lost more blood.

You slowly limped your way towards him, not minding the vicious cuts that littered your body. You knew you were about to go, but you can't help it.

You had to at least bid him goodbye before you were gone, right? He's one of the most important people to you, after all.

'One of the most painful ways you can leave someone is through silence.'

You thought that maybe, it would be better off this way. It wouldn't affect both his and Kanao's relationship... Future relationship, at least.

You moved closer to him, before kissing him in his forehead.

"Listen, Tanjiro, I... I have not been completely honest with you... You see, I've had a crush on you for a while now." you started, years threatening to spill.

"Oh screw it, I love you, okay? I know you might not hear it but, I love you.. I always did and I always will."

You chuckled sadly to yourself, feeling pathetic that you're only telling him this now yet a part of you was finally relieved that you'd actually told him how you feel.

He stirred up, looked at you right in your eyes, and gave you a quick kiss on the lips.

You were taken aback, tears finally escaping your eyes.

"I love you too, (Y/N)-chan." was all he said before you saw darkness.

●_●

A few days after that, Tanjiro woke up but (Y/N), well, she didn't make it.

And the worst part is, they had actually told each other what they actually felt. Right after one of them gave up.

At least she was happy.