𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓢𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷

Sirius looked down at the mess of curls laid upon his shoulder, he tried to be as still yet as soft as possible to keep her comfortable. But inside his heart was racing faster than it ever had, and the hair was sticking up on the back of his neck.

A small smile was plastered on his lips, and in that quiet moment he wasn't sure that he could frown again for a very long time.

And then, he realized what was happening. The thought hit him faster than he had ever expected as he looked down at Estelle. He started to think about all the things she did, how easy it was for her to make him smile, how he instantly forgot his family dread when he was around her, and how angry he was when someone else had tried to take her attention.

The anger and hurt he felt when James told him what she went through at home, and how he wished he could take all the pain away from his...friend.

But was she just a friend to him?

He laid his head back on the sofa, instinctively moving his arms to run his hands through his hair. As soon as he moved the arm Estelle had her head on, she fell closer to him, her head now rested against the side of his chest.

Sirius's eyes widened, not exactly sure what to do about their closeness. He wasn't put off by it, more afraid of what it would do to his head and all the feelings that were stirring around in it. What if it was just because she was a... No, no... She would never use that on him. He knew that.

But he also knew he was weak, and even if she wasn't trying... Maybe he was drawn to her because of what she was. He stared up at the ceiling, his mind racing and stomach swirling, trying to figure out what had gotten in to him.

Stella was one of his best friend's... Oh, James will kill him... He looked back down at her, he could see her sleepy face pressed up against him, and he let out a breathy chuckle trying not to move. She looked very cute- No- Sirius though to himself, he shouldn't be thinking that way.

This is his friend... But she did look very cute. He sighed to himself, blocking out his thoughts, trying to just let her sleep undisturbed for as long as possible. He rested his head against the couch, staring back up at the ceiling.

The dying fire still lit up the room, and the light of the flames danced along the ceiling. It flowed harmoniously, and Sirius felt himself growing heavier as he watched it. His eye lids began to fall, and soon they closed.

***

James woke up uncharecteristically early the next day, very well rested, he had planned to take Sirius and Stella to the market down the street from his house. He knew Boxing Day was the best day to look for fun things, and the baking was always the best in the morning.

He got up, showered and brushed his teeth. He decided to wake Sirius up, get him to get ready and let Estelle sleep a bit longer. She had after all, a horrible week. So he walked up to Sirius's room; he had a room at the Potter's as he was here most of the time, and opened the door.

The bed was still made, and he knew Sirius hadn't slept here. He NEVER makes his bed. James's eyes widened in horror, turning on his heels and running down the the guest room where Estelle was supposed to sleep. He threw the door open, terrified that Sirius would be in her bed.

But what was even worse, is that neither of them were there.

So he went down to the kitchen, thinking maybe, just maybe he was wrong and they were both already up and eating breakfast. He scanned the kitchen, but it was only his Mum and dad giggling over cups of tea.

"Hey, where are Sirius and Stella?" He asked nervously.

Euphemia choked back a laugh, and spoke through tiny smirks. "Erm, it appears they are still sleeping."