⌠𝒻𝓁𝒶𝓈𝒽𝒷𝒶𝒸𝓀⌡

𝓇𝑒𝓅𝑒𝒶𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓈𝑒𝓁𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎'𝓇𝑒 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓎 𝑔𝑜𝓃𝑒

»»————- ♔ ————-««

mellona augustine

disclaimer: mention of death, grief, and mourning. this is a flashback of a period between after the dawn of the 16th and when mellona moved to the nether

this was one of the days that mellona could barely bring herself to spar with philza and technoblade. she told them that she'd just watch, but she was only staring off to the snowy plains and hills while spinning the golden ring on her finger.

philza and technoblade had noticed this. she was only sitting on the steps of technoblade's cabin with a blank expression.

"mellona loved wilbur, didn't she?" phil asked techno, blocking an incoming hit. "wil loved sending letters about her to me. i guess it distracted him from telling me what was going on."

techno parried, jumping back a few feet. "they loved each other. i think they got married unofficially? it's pretty unclear, but they both have rings and mellona always wears hers. i bet you she's spinning it around on her finger as we speak."

with a simple glance, they both looked over to see the aforementioned woman completely spaced and doing the action technoblade had predicted. she hadn't even noticed them looking over at her.

philza looked over at her with empathy, knowing how it feels to lose a loved one. he lost his son and is going through his grieving as she was, but he had learned to deal with loss after having gone through it twice already.

"you know, she reminds me a lot of when i lost my angel. i was aloof and i barely wanted to get out of bed." philza lowered his sword, telling technoblade that he was done with sparring. "i think i could help her."

"you can go ahead and try, i've tried comforting her but she won't even laugh at my monotone jokes." technoblade countered, holding his hand out. philza gave him his sword. "i'll go mess around with my chests for her to reorganize later on."

technoblade nods over to philza, heading towards his cabin and snapping mellona out of her stupor. technoblade ruffled her hair, giving her a warm smile before heading inside.

philza approached mellona, standing in front of her. "good afternoon, mellona. may i?" he questioned, motioning to the spot next to her on the stairs.

mellona looked up, nodding, and then seizing the spinning of her ring for a moment. "afternoon, philza."

philza sat down lightly next to mellona, minding his wings. "i couldn't help but notice the ring in your finger?"

mellona nodded, splaying her hand out for him to look it the shiny ring. "gorgeous, isn't it?"

"yes," he replied. "very like wil to be so simplistic." mellona smiled softly, taking the ring off momentarily.

"he engraved the inside. mizpah." she showed philza, him smiling solemnly in return. "i trust you know what it means?"

"a bond between two people, especially separated by distance or death." philza replied. "i can relate to such a bond."

"really? i don't mean to pry but...how did you..?" mellona trailed, not being able to find the words.

philza sighed softly, looking off into the snowy plains. "it took a long time, and i'm still not done being over it. but she was and is always there, even in her death." a soft breeze floated between the two and philza inhaled, his eyes closed. "she's in my heart always, and as long as i know that, i'm content. i may love again, i may not. but that's okay, life is like that."

mellona stayed quiet for a moment, absorbing the words that philza had told her. she breathed in the air and sighed. "i miss him lots." 

philza nodded, cuffing his hands together so his large robes connected. "i hope you don't hold a grudge over me for..." 

mellona quickly shook her head. "i don't. i knew what wilbur was doing was a suicide mission. we had said our farewells a week prior." at that statement, philza's eyes widened. it seemed they had more in common than he believed. 

he chuckled dryly, mellona looking at him confusedly. "i don't mean to laugh. it just seems as if this sort of thing runs in the family. he gets it from his mother." 

mellona smiled warmly. they stayed in silence for a moment as the sun began to set over the snowy horizon. they relished in the comfort of mutuality and understanding. before the sun had set completely, the door to technoblade's cabin opened. 

they craned their necks to look up at the hybrid. "dinner's ready. you guys ready to come in?" he asked with his head poked out. 

mellona briefly looked at philza and smiled. "yeah. baked potatoes?" 

technoblade silently took note of the smile on her face and nodded. "you should get them before they turn cold. no one likes raw, cold, potatoes." 

philza and mellona stood up together, dusting their clothes off before heading up the steps. mellona was stopped before going in. 

"...it's good to see your smile again, megara." mellona looked surprised for a moment before gaining her composure. she smiled once again. 

"thanks, achilles."

»»————- ♔ ————-««

words: 860