Chapter Eight: Decisions, Decisions, and New Friends

Tori

Almost as soon as I get home, my phone rings, and I answer it as soon as I see the number. "Hello?" I say. "Hello Tori. It's Mason. I just watched the music video you and Jade posted on The Slap, and I have to say, it is fantastic! I haven't seen a music video that's this good that was made by two high school students before. And believe me when I say that I've seen a lot of music videos in my time," Mason says over the phone. "Thanks. I'm glad that you like it," I reply. "It's gaining popularity at a higher rate than... well, than any other new music right now. People are telling their friends about it, and then those people listen to it and tell their friends about it, and so on. I'm afraid that I don't have much more time, because I still have to call Jade, but I will say, great job on the music video," he says. "Okay, thanks," I say. "No, thank you," Mason replies, and he hangs up.

Jade

I'm sitting on my couch, sipping a cup of coffee, when my phone rings. "Hello?" I say. "Hello Jade, it's Mason Thornesmith. I just talked to your girlfriend Tori about your music video. To summarize what I told her, it's fantastic, better than any music video I've seen that was made by two high school students before. I'll let her tell you the rest, but great job on the music video, and I'll be in touch," he says, then hangs up. I check my texts to see that Tori's sent me a text saying that Mason told her that our music video is gaining popularity faster than any other new music, and that people are telling their friends about it, who then listen to it and tell their friends about it, and so on. I grin and text her back before I go back to my coffee.

When I get to school the next morning, I find Tori standing at the front doors waiting for me, looking eager. "Hey baby, what's got you so excited?" I ask, kissing her softly. "I ran into Sikowitz a few minutes ago, and he said that someone is coming here to Hollywood Arts for something in the auditorium this afternoon, but he wouldn't elaborate," she says. "Let me guess. You're thinking that it's gonna be Mason Thornesmith, and he's gonna want us to perform our songs for him," I say casually. "How did you know?!" She asks. "I'm psychic," I reply sarcastically. "I'm joking. It's the only thing, besides seeing me, that I can think of that would make you this excited," I say when she gives me a skeptical look. "Yeah, I suppose," Tori replies, blushing bright red. "Oh, you're so cute when you blush, baby," I say, and I kiss her softly. When I pull away, she's blushing an even deeper shade of red, and I smile at her. "I love you, baby. Don't ever forget that," I say. "Oh, trust me, babe, I'll never forget that," she replies.

When we walk into the auditorium this afternoon, sure enough, Mason Thornesmith is there, and so is the entire student body. I look at Tori and give her a look that says, 'you ready for this?' She nods, and we sit down with Beck and Cat, who have saved us a pair of seats. "Now, I'm sure many of you are wondering why I'm here today. Well, I am here to watch a performance by my two new favorite up-and-coming young musicians, Tori Vega and Jade West," Mason says, and he motions for Tori and I to take the stage. We perform all three of our songs together, and everyone applauds appreciatively. We bow, and then Mason motions to us to come with him, and he walks away, with us following him. "You two are by far the most talented young ladies I've had the pleasure to meet, and I have a proposition for you," he says when the three of us are alone. "Okay," I say. "We're listening," Tori says. "So, I'm willing to sign both of you to Neutronium Records right now, if you're interested. My idea is to release your first three songs as an album, and make music videos for the other two songs," he says. I look at Tori in surprise, and her expression mirrors my own. "Wow... this is... wow," I say. "Don't worry, I'll let you two talk about it among yourselves and get back to me," he says, and both Tori and I breathe a sigh of relief. "We'll do that, Mr. Thornesmith," Tori says. "One other thing. Please, just call me Mason," he says. "Will do," Tori says, and Mason dismisses us.