Chapter Ten: Moving, an Important Question, and a Shocking Twist

Jade

A few days later, I get a call from Tori, who tells me to look up Neutronium Records. I get my laptop and search Neutronium Records, and I find a news article that takes me by surprise. "Uh, baby, I'll call you back," I say to Tori, then I hang up to focus on the article that I found.

Neutronium Records to Relocate to Massachusetts

In a statement released late yesterday evening, Neutronium Records CEO Mason Thornesmith announced that the record company would be moving from Los Angeles to Boston, Massachusetts. When asked why he made the decision, Thornesmith said that, "most record labels are located on the west coast of the United States, and I think that it would be better for the industry as a whole if more record labels were based on the east coast, to be more accessible to artists across the country." The relocation is scheduled to begin in mid-June, and is expected to be completed by the end of August.

I finish reading the article, and I call Tori back. "I don't know what to do, baby," I say. "What do you mean?" She asks. "Everything that I've ever known is here in Los Angeles. What about our friends and families?" I ask. "We can always Facetime them, you know. It's not like we're going to be completely out of touch with everyone," she says. "I suppose you have a point there," I say, shrugging my shoulders. "Are you doing OK? You don't sound all that great," Tori says, concern evident in her tone. "Don't worry about me, I'm fine," I say, even though I don't feel fine. "Jade, I know that you're not being honest with me. What's going on?" Tori asks. I sigh on the inside and tell her the truth. "I've had an upset stomach for a few days, and my headache is back," I say. "Oh, you poor thing! I'll be right over, I promise," she says. "No, you don't have to come over. It's not like I'm dying or something," I say. "You're not going to keep me away right now, Jade. We always help each other, remember? It's how our relationship works," she says, and I have to concede that she's right. "OK, I'll see you soon, baby," I say. "See you soon," she says, then she hangs up.

I head downstairs to meet her, and when she arrives, I let her in. "Oh, honey, you're a mess!" She says. "I'm aware. I haven't even had the chance to take a shower yet," I say. "Let's not worry about that, babe. Are you hungry?" She asks. "Not really, baby. I feel like curling up in a ball and doing nothing," I say. "Don't worry, you can do that. I'll be right here, so if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask, OK?" Tori asks. "Yeah," I say. The day passes without very much changing.

(Fast-forward to mid-June)

Well, we've officially graduated from Hollywood Arts, and now Tori and I are packing our things for our move to Boston. "I can't believe that we're moving across the country, baby," I tell her. "Yeah, it's pretty hard to believe. But look on the bright side, we'll have each other, and we can make some new friends in Boston," Tori says, and I remember that I had something that I wanted to ask her. "I, um... I wanted to... ask you something..." I say. "Jade, for the hundredth time, we are making the right decision by doing this," she says immediately. "Um... that's not what I want to ask you, baby," I say. "Oh. Sorry," she says softly. "It's fine, I know that I've been having a lot of second thoughts about this move," I say with a smile. "So, what is it that you actually wanted to ask me?" Tori asks, and I take a deep breath. "First, close your eyes," I say kindly, and she does as I tell her. I drop to one knee and take a beautiful silver ring with a sapphire gem encrusted in the middle of a small square. "Okay, you can open your eyes," I say.

Tori

I open my eyes, see Jade on one knee holding a ring, and my hands jump up to cover my mouth in shock. "Tori, over the last several months, you've been my anchor, through everything crazy that's been happening in my life, and I don't think that I can ever thank you enough for that. You've made me a better person than I thought I could be, and for that, I will be eternally grateful. I want to be yours for the rest of our lives, Tori Vega. Will you marry me?" She asks. I slowly start to nod in response, and I say, "Oh Jade, I love you so much! Of course I'll marry you!" She grins wider than I think that I've ever seen before, and she stands up and gently slides the ring onto my right ring finger. I pull her in close to me and kiss her deeply. "I've never been so happy in my life, babe," I say. "Neither have I, baby," Jade replies, holding my right hand. "Do you want to take a break from packing and tell the others?" I ask. "How about we tell them tonight at our going-away party?" She suggests. "That sounds better, honey," I reply. With that, we return to packing for the move to Boston.