13

I absolutely hated cleaning, especially when it was just four people. Mike was nice enough to offer a hand when Eren, Levi, and I walked out of the cafeteria to start our cleaning routine. It was only our squad that did this, Levi had us working like maids. I raked the fallen leaves from the grass and piled them under the tree. Levi and Eren swept the ones on the pavement into the grass for me to rake, it was teamwork. Mike cleaned inside the building, I could see him wiping the windows with a wet cloth from down below. Why did Hanji have to say awkward things? Why couldn't she be normal...I glanced at Levi, he was sweeping calmly. He was probably used to her weirdness... I swiped at my bangs, huffing and watching fog escape from my mouth into the coldness of the air.

"Is it winter here?" I said to no one in particular. The weather was too damp and cold for it to be autumn.

Levi answered me. "It's November, so yes winter is on it's way here."

"Do you hate the winter Sakura?" Eren spoke out, resting his back on the wall.

"No I like it, just not when i'm not prepared with warm clothes." I said smiling. "Say, Corporal, just when is your birthday?" I asked curiously.

"December 25th." He stated. I gasped.

"That's coming very soon! How old will you be?" I pressed. He stood silent for a while before responding.

"That's none of your business."

"Awww" I pouted. So he was going to avoid my question...I would find out his age...somehow.

"How do you two like Mike?" Levi's random question was unexpected. Eren and I exchanged glances.

"Mike is okay...why?" Eren looked at Levi with questioning eyes.

"I'm resigning as captain...and leaving you two in his care, i'm sure he will do just fine as your new leader." He stated matter of factly. I was stunned. Levi was no longer going to be my captain? I should have been glad...I should have been jumping in the air happily, thankful that I would no longer have to clean. So why...why did I feel a sinking feeling in my stomach? Why did I feel like my heart was growing dark?

"Why?" Eren was surprised, completely taken aback by the corporals sudden decision.

Levi stopped sweeping and looked Eren in the eye. "Aren't you happy brat? I just want to rest, I'm not ready for a new team yet..." so this was about his dead comrades. He didn't want new people to replace them.

"But corporal, what about keeping us in check? Your humanities strongest soldier right? Only you can be our captain!" Eren screeched, he was upset.

"Calm down, you don't give yourself enough credit, I trust in you two to behave, so trust in yourselves, Mike is stronger than he seems." Levi began sweeping again, an act that said he was done with the conversation. Eren stared at him pleadingly, not wanting to give up. I gripped the handle of the rake so hard my knuckles hurt.