22

It was still pouring hard when Bertholdt and I made it to headquarters. My wrists were sore from being tied up and I was freezing cold. Bertholdt stopped the horse right outside of the back doors of the hallway of the building. He didn't want to risk being seen by anyone, but it didn't look like there was anyone here anyway. It looked deserted, and quiet. Most of the members already left. If there was really no one here, I was out of luck, but still had a chance of thinking of some way to escape. He lifted me up from the waist and set me down on my feet gently. I shivered in the cold and damp weather.

"There should be clothes in the storage office of new trainees, I'll escort you there." Bertholdt said lowly.

I nodded to show I was fine with his suggestion as he bent to tear off the tape that was binding my legs together and proceeded to take my gag off. I followed as he moved forward to open the door. I walked in first, and was relieved to be engulfed in warm air and bright light. The torch was no longer needed. He looked around quickly before walking on towards the end of the hallway. We stopped and made a turn that led to some stairs leading down. I thought about pushing him down the steps, but decided against it. I wanted to be smooth.

"I need to go to the bathroom." I said shyly, averting my eyes when he looked back at me and stopped mid-steps.

"Right now?" He asked. He studied me for a moment before giving me a curt nod. "Please try to hurry."

"Of course." I breathed. My hands were sweating despite the cold, I was nervous myself. We descended the stairs quietly and I followed the tall man as he led me to a couple of doors to the far right side of the hallway.

"I'll wait for you here." He stated as he leaned back on the opposite side of the wall.

He trusted me too easily, I couldn't believe Bertholdt didn't suspect me even a little bit, it was too good to be true. But then again...he didn't seem very smart. "Alright." I said as I slipped inside the door. I closed it behind me and pressed my back to it, trying to calm my beating heart. My eyes scanned the room carefully. There wasn't anything sharp I could use to release me from my hand bindings, but there was a window to the far side of the wall. An escape route. I went inside one of the stalls and used my feet to wiggle out of my boots to position them in front of the toilet. Then I locked the stall and climbed over the door to get out. I hopped down and bent to look. Perfect, It looked as if I were seated on the toilet when really it was just my boots standing there. I didn't care if I was barefoot, as long as I could get out. As quietly as possible, I moved to open the window and used the trash bin to get a boost up. Once I reached the opening I threw my body over it and cursed under my breath. My hips were stuck. I could see I was in another hallway somewhere downstairs. I wiggled and strained myself to get out, and fell down with one final push. I sat up wincing in pain but that didn't matter. I managed to get away from bertholdt. At least for the time being. Standing up, I took the time to observe my surroundings. I had no idea which side of the hallway lead outside, I would just have to guess and chose a path. I chose left and sprinted forward. My bare feet tapped against the floor as I moved. It was only a matter of time until Bertholdt found out I slipped out, I had to hurry. I kicked a door open and made my way inside. I needed to find something sharp and fast.