Chapter 21

Kirai's POV

"For me, the bond he and I shared are merely getting closer and closer, to the point that it's far too dangerous for me," I sighed, almost defeatedly. "The closer we are, the harder it is to contain my feelings. Time and time again, the secrets I have embedded deep in my mind have been growing too difficult for me to even hide. As my love for him only bloomed, growing stronger each day, it was simply too much for me to disobey him. One more order emitted from him, I would have ended up sharing everything."

My student, Yoi, looked at me with such concern and pity that I almost hated it. Nevertheless, I continued my story, "I don't want everything to become an inevitable situation, or a situation where I can't escape. It's a vulnerable position. I must use what little control I have left to avoid the circumstances I had feared. No matter how much it hurts me, I cannot let Hashirama reign that control for too long."

Yoi finally decided to speak, "But sensei, it is only a matter of time anyways. Soon he'll figure it out. Everything, starting from the beginning. That moment was such a good time to share everything that has been happening to you, so why didn't you?"

It was that question that made me react, it was unexpected, like it triggered an old injury that had started to hurt once again, "Because I am a mere servant!"

She grew silent, stunned at my sudden outburst, and I stared at her with a surprised look on my face, showing that even I was surprised. I looked away from her regretfully, "S-Sorry." I shuffled from my seat, turning my body so that I wouldn't face her. This time, my tone was silent as I continued, "Because I am only his friend. Just a person who is willing to die for him. I'm... I was nothing."

Yoi shook her head slowly, as if what I said was wrong. "No, sensei. Have you not heard of your own words?" Then she smiled sadly, "You are his friend. Don't forget that."

I still didn't look at her, "My interaction with him may be from the past, but still, even now I can feel the old feelings resurging back from within. I didn't know these feelings were still here, lurking somewhere deep in the depths of my mind." I shook my head in disbelief, "Even after all this time, I can still recall such feelings."

I snorted, "I mean, of course, it is expected. That short moment was quite memorable and haunting. Something I can't seem to get out of my head, as if it was there, existing, constantly reminding me of the later events that's bound to happen."

Yoi tilted her head out of curiosity, "Later events?" She repeats, "Why do you think so, sensei? What did that short interaction between you and Lord Hashirama have anything to do with the later events?"

I am suddenly reminded that I still have a story to tell, so I simply gave her a small smile, "I guess you'll see... or, perhaps, hear."

"I am not unhappy for the things you've done, Hashirama," I glanced up to the tall man, smiling softly at him, "You have already done things beyond unimaginable all for the sake of your people. That is enough to make me happy."

He simply shrugged, "I don't know. I mean, I may be the head of the Senju clan, all my efforts are spent in battles. For the past few days, I have been busy, having not enough time to spend visiting the injured men and creating interactions with other non-shinobi folks. They might see the situation that I do not have time for them anymore, causing them to think negatively about me."

I shook my head, "That's not true, we both know that. You did say you are busy, did you not? If it is the case like that, the folks would understand. In my opinion, they'd see the situation that you are busy fighting and protecting the precious thing you loved and cared for, and for me, it caused them to think highly of you. Which is why you earned such a respectable reputation, Hashirama."