Chapter 22

Kirai's POV

"My lord, there have been crucial rumours spreading throughout the clan about certain intentions of Madara Uchiha towards a... member of the Senju clan," a councillor hesitated as he said that, and his face gave away that he does not truly consider me as a member of the Senju clan. Even though he tried to make it less obvious, I can still see it nonetheless.

The man continued, his head high and filled with pride. "It is, without a doubt, something to be wary of. Though we may have one or two clues as to what Madara's intentions are, we certainly need more evidence if the case is true. Which is why we are glad to hear the target Madara seemed so inclined to have."

"As you may know, my lord, the clan is uneasy about this issue. So we must confirm things at once."

My lips pressed tight, disliking the fact that I am one with the most attention here. Still, I do not possess the bravery or the audacity to look them in the eye.

Hashirama's mighty voice, deep and filled with so much authority, echoed within these walls of the room. It is his time to speak. "Sir, there is no such thing as crucial rumours if it isn't proved true. Only facts and real evidence are deemed crucial to believe." The man sighed, but he held his shoulders stern and his expressions serious. "Every bit of the war, especially moments where we feel vulnerable, is something to always take importance of, is it not? Madara's intentions towards Kirai means that he is planning onto something, nothing new. Therefore, not relatable to Kirai's actions. She is innocent through all this."

Someone wanted to speak up, voicing his thoughts as well, but Hashirama continued quite relentlessly. Not ending his impactful speech just yet. For a moment, I thought of possible reasons why they wanted to interrupt their lord. Perhaps his following words might change the tables, might make things unfavorable for them. But why?

The thought filled me with dread. Is this meeting launched simply to eliminate me? Now that this meeting has commenced, and the subject is circling around me or is all related to me in some ways, this is their chance to finally get rid of me. However, I thought that the whole thing is quite absurd if this is the case.

Of course! If Hashirama continues to defend me and say facts and perfect points that will utterly make sense, then they will lose their chance to get rid of me. The tables will turn, they will no longer have the power to control this situation. So, why do they think they can outwit Hashirama? Why do they think they can use the evidence Hashirama spewed to turn it all against me? It is like they are waiting for perfect timing or something to happen, immediately latching on to such perfection, and using that as their own advantage.

Oh, right. Because they don't know me. Because Hashirama's word is the rule to them. And because Hashirama knows me, and they don't, it means I can have the upper hand. And because of that, they don't like it.

Still, it made things a bit confusing. Why start the meeting in the first place? Perhaps they thought they could catch whatever Hashirama's words about even the slightest mistake that I made, and might be enough to reveal my supposedly-dark secrets.

Well, they know nothing. Hashirama knows me all too well. He alone is my witness and defender.

Now that Madara's involvement around me is something to consider, and the fact that he is the number one enemy of the Senju, they thought they could use such chances to "reveal" me. Although I may have reasons why I hid some of my selfish secrets, I do not believe they know the reason why.

This might be their greatest downfall. I could already see who would win.

"Why do I declare so, you may ask? Because why not? Madara, no matter how honorable he seems to be, is perceptive enough to use trickery and vile actions if it means peace. He uses such wicked skill so easily that we can be trapped with less effort, and that we would fail to notice until it is too late. He would do anything, regardless of anything, to achieve his goals he so desired. And if he desires to reach his goal through the means of performing vile intentions, then he will do it without hesitation, all for the sake of him and his people."