Chapter Seventeen

“Come in, I’m about to have an aneurism,” I said hurriedly, my voice breathy as I ushered Jimmy into the hallway, slamming the front door behind him. I wiped at my brow and lent against the staircase as he slipped off his shoes. “What am I going to do?” I frowned. “I can’t believe I asked him to come here, it’s like inviting the vampire into the house! I’m that girl!” 

   “You never know,” Jimmy’s voice was consoling and he walked into the front room, sitting down on the floor and standing his guitar up against the sofa. “He might have changed?” 

   “This is Patrick we’re talking about,” I reminded him, my heart beat becoming erratic, “he doesn’t change.” I sat down besides him and tipped my head backwards, groaning as if I were in real pain. 

   “It will be fine,” he put an arm around me and squeezed tight, letting me lean my head against his shoulder. “I’m here, remember? The minute he does something dick-like-” He stopped then and we both looked at each other. “Okay, maybe the minute he does something offensive-slash-illegal, I’ll kick him out on his arse so quick.” 

   “Thanks, Jim,” I smiled, looking down and fiddling with my fingers. “Do you promise you’re going to do this? If it all works out?” I asked hopefully, raising my eyebrows.

   “Yeah,” he chuckled, nodding, “I’ll do it, if we’re good and we have a shot.” 

   “But if we start gigging and working in the studio, it would be so great to be able to have someone in the band who’s done it before and knows what it’s like,” I said enthusiastically. “I mean, I’m new to this, and I know Patrick’s done it, but hopefully before long Freddie will change his mind and come join in.” 

   “I will be here,” Jimmy held onto my hands and kissed my forehead, “as long as you want me.” 

   “Forever then?” I smiled sweetly, making him laugh again. Suddenly, there was a loud noise as someone knocked at the front door, making me jump. “Please let it be Sebastian,” I rolled my eyes, standing up and walking to the door, pulling it open for a second time. “Hi!” I grinned. 

   “Hey! Lana, right?” He said unsurely, standing on the doorstep slightly awkwardly. 

   “Yeah, I think we met at Fred’s one time, right?” I showed him into the hall and gave him a hug, before he slipped off his pair of Chelsea boots and stood them next to Jimmy’s scuffed Vans. 

   “Yeah, I remember,” he agreed. 

   Was it weird, that as I saw him, I saw the band’s image? We all seemed to fit the same kind of genre, all fairly good looking, all slightly awkward; I felt it in my bones, this was going to work, it had to. Seb was tall, almost as tall as Jimmy, with short, brown hair which stood longer on top to form a kind of vertical quiff. He was skinny, wearing skintight jeans and a scruffy t-shirt, and holding a large wooden stool under his arm. 

   “Is this the drum box?” I assumed, even though it was obvious to what the answer was. 

   “Yeah,” he nodded, following me into the front room. 

   “I’ve never used one before, I’ve always wanted to,” I smiled over my shoulder and sat down in the middle of the floor, between Jimmy and Seb. “Seb, this is Jimmy, Jimmy, Seb,” I gestured between them, “I don’t know if you’ve met before?” 

   “I think, a few times,” Seb narrowed his eyes. 

   “Yeah, maybe at Jake’s?” Jimmy wondered. 

   “Barnes?” He replied, Jim nodded. “Yeah, we’ve probably been at the same parties more than a few times.” 

   “Yeah,” Jimmy agreed. “I think we should get started because Patrick is always late anyway.”