The Fight is on

Chapter 1

The Fight is on

The stench of sweat and blood filled my nose as I walked into an old warehouse, on the west side of the docks. It was dark and chilly, the wind whispered to me as I rushed inside to escape it's icy grip.

I stood in the shadows just inside the door and scanned my surroundings, trying not to be seen too soon. The whole building was a cement block, the walls were streaked with water and god knows what else, I shivered slightly at the thought. I took a deep breath to calm myself and soon realized my first mistake. I coughed and sputtered, choking on the smoke of a cigarette. The smoke was thick and smothering, it covered the room in a thick fog.

I shook my head and covered my mouth with the sleeve of my jacket as I continued to scan the room. To the far side of the room past all the smoke, was an old bar swarming with people, all waiting to place their bets or grab their money while they could. I ducked my head and walked farther into the dank room. I pushed myself into a far corner and quickly stripped off my jacket and t-shirt, I placed them down on the ground behind me and waited for my name to be called on the mic. The warehouse was filled to the brim with people, all shouting and shoving, trying to get closer to the action unfolding in front of them. I smirked, these people didn't know what was in store for them.

"Our winner is...Steel!" An excited voice shouted over the loudspeakers above my head. I stood on my toes, trying to see over the sea of people, but I was too short and far away to see the face of my next opponent.

The crowd went wild, screaming, yelling and pushing their way towards the old rickety bar, wanting their winning bets. I took this opportunity to push my way closer to the center of the room, anxious to see the face of the winner. I pushed my way past people fighting and shouting trying to get to the bar before their money was taken. I fought against them, but there really was no use. They all mobbed together and pushed forward, tossing me back and forth in the process. I was slammed backwards into someone, my back hitting them hard enough to push us both backward. The unknown man grunted and roughly grabbed my arms and tossed me aside. I stumbled out of the crowd and fell to my knees, trying to catch my breath. It wasn't until I noticed how silent everyone had become that I realized my second mistake.

I slowly looked up from my kneeling position to see a man standing over me. His face was red and glistening with sweat, his body shaking slightly from the thinly controlled rage. I cursed under my breath, this was the man who had just won that fight. This was the man who had caused such an uproar..and I had just challenged him...great.

I slowly stood, never letting my eyes waver from the man in front of me. He popped his knuckles and shifted his weight from foot to foot, ready to attack if needed. I stepped back and lowered my head, trying to look intimidated and scared so he would back down. His reaction was the exact opposite from what I was hoping for, it made him angrier. He grunted and stepped forward, swinging his fist down and aiming for my temple. I squealed and ducked out of the way just in time. His fist slammed down right beside my head as I scrambled away. Fear and adrenaline raced through me as I stood to my feet and backed away. I wasn't ready to fight him yet. I needed to concentrate, not swing blindly and hoping for the best. The man, Steel, I think his name was, was about to swing again when an older man ran up to him and grabbed his arm. I was saved! Or at least that what I thought until the older man whispered something into Steels ear that made the fighter grin with glee. My stomach churned with dread, what were they planning?

"I challenge you to a fight, right here, right now." Steel's strong gravely voice shouted. I shivered, my stomach dropped down to my feet and my heartbeat thundered in my ears. I couldn't say no. If I did I would be killed right where I stood, and it wouldn't be a slow, or easy death.