Smoke and Kisses

Chapter 31

Smoke and Kisses

I woke up the next morning alone. I frowned, where did he go? I wondered. I slowly got out of bed and went to shower. I pulled on another one of Lukas shirts and left my long hair to air dry. I walked into the living room and smiled as I looked through the sliding glass doors to see Luka sitting on one of the lawn chairs outside. I frowned when I saw he was smoking. I quietly pulled the door open and slipped out. I walked up behind him and placed my hands on his shoulders, he jumped slightly.

"Smoking's a bad habit you know." I whispered in his ear. He shivered and I smiled. He placed his hand over one of mine and pulled me to stand in front of him. He lifted his other hand to pull the cigarette from his full lips. Lips I knew could be soft and sweet or hard and furious. He blew the smoke out and stared up at me.

"Yea, it is." He said. I shook my head.

"Then why not stop." I asked. He shrugged.

"Can't find a reason to." He said. I frowned.

"Well one reason could be because it'll kill you." I said. He nodded.

"Yea, I guess." He said, not really paying any attention. I sighed.

"Another reason could be if you don't stop Trever may see it and start. Or it could kill him." I said. Lukas eyes snapped to mine.

"What do you mean?" He asked. I shrugged.

"The doctors don't know what's wrong. Well I think it's because of the smoke. It's in his lungs and he may have developed asthma. You visiting him may be making it worse." I said. He took another puff.

"I don't smoke around him. I wouldn't do that." He said angrily. I flinched but kept going.

"I know that, but you still smell like smoke, and I bet you visited more often since they said he was getting worse. I think it's because he can smell it on you."

"Maybe, but I'm not with him all the time. The doctors say he has these coughing fits and can't breathe sometimes at night." He said taking yet another drag. I sighed, hating that he was still smoking that cancer stick.

"Have you given anything to him? Like a gift or something he may have slept with?" I asked. He thought for a moment before his eyes got wide and he threw his cigarette down and ran inside. I followed him, confused.

"What are you doing?" I asked as he picked up his cell phone he held up his hand to quiet me as he waited for someone to answer his call.

"Hello? Yes, this is Luka Kane Knight I'm calling because I may have some new information on my brother, Trever Dane Knight. Yes, you see I smoke. Yes I understand that's a bad habit." He said looking over at me. I rolled my eyes and nodded.

"Yes I know it's not good for me or for Trever. You see, that's why I called. Earlier this month, around the time you said he was getting worse I gave him a stuffed Monkey to sleep with. It smelled like me and he said it would help him sleep. I think that's what's made it worse." He said. He paused and sighed in irritation. I knew that they didn't believe him. I snatched the phone from him, my own irritation rising.

"Listen, this Angel. I know that kid I think he has asthma, and the smoke is messing with his lungs. I used to have it when I was younger but I grew out of it. Just wash his room and that toy till you can't smell it. I know it will make him sad. If need be call this number again so we can talk to him if he doesn't want to give up the toy." I said. I listened to the nurse. She sighed but agreed. I hung up the phone after thanking her and saying goodbye. I sighed and put the phone down on the table. I felt Luka slowly begin to rub my shoulders and I relaxed and turned towards him.

"Please stop smoking." I whispered. He sighed and pulled me close to him.

"I'll try baby girl...for you and for Trever." He said. I nodded.

"Thank you." I said. He nodded and pulled me over to the couch. I was gonna sit beside him but he had other plans. He sat me on his lap facing him so I had to straddle his hips. I looked up at him confused. He smiled.

"You don't have to thank me. I should be thanking you." He said as he kissed my forehead. I frowned.

"Why?" I asked. He smiled.

"You've helped me so much. You've made Trever so happy. When I would visit he would talk about this girl named Angel, you. He would go on and on about how fun and kind you were and how you always made him smile and laugh. He even drew a picture of you so he could show me. You've also helped the gang, especially Dylan. He's more outspoken and not afraid to show his blind eye anymore, but most of all, you've helped me. You made me realize that having someone who cares is important. I didn't think we needed a woman around the house, but I was wrong. I need you, we need you. I guess what I'm saying is I know with everything that's happened I don't really have to ask, but I want to." He took my hands in his and looked me in eyes.

"Anastasia Rose, will you be my girl, and my gangs' mother, so to say." He asked. I giggled. He smiled.

"Yes Luka Kane Knight I will, but I do have a middle name." I said. He smirked.

"That would be?" He asked.

"Marie." I said. He smiled.

"That suits you so well." He said. I nodded with a blush.

"Thank you." I whispered. He shook his head and leaned forward.

"No, thank you." He said right before he kissed me.