The Picture and the Anger

Chapter 28

The Picture and the Anger

Luka unlocked the house and walked inside with me still on his back. He set me down in the living room and I started looking around. There was a TV sitting on the wall and across from it was a large brown couch and two recliners. I wandered farther into the house, unaware that Luka had walked off in the opposite direction. I smiled as I walked around the kitchen. It was small but beautiful, it had warm stone cabinets and steel appliances. I looked out the small window above the sink and saw a small deck with lawn chairs and a table outside. A lovely place to just sit out and watch the stars. I giggled as I thought of the last time me and Luka had gone to watch the stars. We had been caught by a cop and we both had hickeys on our necks.

I reached up and touched the spot where Lukas mark used to be. It had healed mostly. Now it was just a small mark, almost unnoticed by most people. I jumped when a towel was draped over my shoulders. I looked behind me to see Luka smiling at me. I smiled back and wrapped myself in the towel. He pulled me closer to him and frowned.

"You need a warm shower, you're shivering." He said. I frowned.

"Aren't we going to leave, everyone will be worried." I said. Luka smiled.

"They know we're here, remember? I told Snake. He'll tell the other guys and they'll come get us Sunday afternoon so we can turn in that project." He said. I smiled.

"You do realize my mother will freak out?" I asked. He shook his head.

"My father's already talked to her and from what I understand she will be spending the weekend with her boss, David." He said. I giggled.

"You thought of everything." I said. He smiled.

"Even food and clothes. Now go shower." He said, pushing me towards a hallway I hadn't been down. I turned back to him.

"I don't know where I'm going." I said with a small blush. He chuckled and took my hand, leading me down the picture filled hallway. I stopped at one picture that caught my eye. Luka pulled me, trying to get me to walk again, but I refused. I walked closer to the picture and reached my hand out to touch it, but Luka caught my wrist and roughly threw it away from the picture. I flinched back, letting out a small yelp. I looked up at him with wide eyes, trying not to shake as I saw anger and sadness in his eyes. I knew what that combination could do. I backed away and lowered my head.

"Where's the bathroom?" I asked in a small voice. I heard Luka sigh. The floor boards creaked as he came closer, but I backed away.

"Where's the bathroom?" I asked again, still looking at the floor. Luka sighed once more but stepped back.

"Through those doors to the left." He said. I looked up to see him pointing at a set of double doors a few steps away. I nodded and scurried past him, afraid he would reach out to touch me. My body was on high alert, and if he tried to touch me right now I would fight back, and I didn't want him finding out about my street fights. I know he would want me to stop and I couldn't do that. I didn't love the fights, but it helped with the anger and the stress. I could get into the ring and take it all out on my opponent. When I stepped out of that ring I was bloody and bruised, but I felt as if I was at peace once more, if only for a little while. I couldn't let him take that away from me.

I rushing into the room and shut the door before rushing into the bathroom. I closed and locked the door. I leaned against it and sighed. I knew he didn't mean to get angry, and somewhere in my mind I knew he wouldn't hurt me, but at that moment all I saw was the hand of a man coming towards me, and I knew that man was angry. It was on instinct and years of old memoires that made me flinch away and act so submissive to him. I knew that, and he probably knew that too.

I sighed and pushed myself up and looked around the bathroom. It was huge. A huge stone shower stood to the left of me, it looked like it could fit four or maybe five grown men with room to spare. A large tub sat next to it. I smiled, thinking of how wonderful it would be to lounge in the tube all day and let my worries fade, but I couldn't, not today. I had to shower and find Luka and talk to him. I rushed to the shower and turned it on. I set the water and was about to get into the shower when there was a knock on the bathroom door.