Maybe, just maybe...

Chapter 14

Maybe, just maybe...

I woke up the next morning and sighed, like any other night it was filled with night mares, but this time they all include Luka. I have no idea what he wanted to tell me and somewhere in my mind I knew it might not be bad, but my first instinct is to believe that the worst is to happen.

 I shook my head and slowly got out of bed. I showered and pulled on a pair of dark gray sweat pants and a dark green short sleeve shirt. I walked over to the mirror and brushed through my dark hair and pulled it up into a pony tail. I covered my bruised cheek with some makeup then walked out of the bathroom. I didn't want to look at my back or my ribs, I knew they still had big ugly bruises all over them. I walked over to my closet and pulled out a hoodie and pulled it on slowly then walked over to my desk and grabbed my stuff. I walked down the stairs to wait for Day. I set my stuff down on the dinner table and walked into the kitchen. I saw my mother sitting at the island in the center of the kitchen. I walked over and sat beside her, she looked over at me then back down to her coffee cup that was tightly grasped between her bony hands. Her brown hair was pulled back into a bun at the nape of her neck, I slowly placed my hand on one of hers and we both flinched. She looked back over at me and gave me a small smile, I smiled back.

 "You know what happened yesterday right" I asked, knowing her bosses had probably already called her. She nodded and took my hand in hers and squeezed.

 "Yes, and thank you, I wanted to quite but I knew I couldn't" she said. I nodded.

 "Now you don't have to worry, and David seems to really care for you" I said. My mom giggled. My eyes widened, this was the first time in years I had heard my mother laugh. I smiled. My mom looked over at me and smiled.

 "I know I know, but don't get your hopes up, he's my boss" she said. I shrugged.

 "You never know" I said. She laughed once more. We jumped when the sound of the doorbell echoed through the house. My mom stood up.

 "That's David" she said. She grabbed her purse and walked over to the door. I stood behind her as she opened the door. A tall man stood on the other side of the door, he had dark brown hair just long enough to curl a little at the ends and light brown eyes that sparkled in the light. He smiled at my mom and held his hand out to her. She slowly placed her hand in his and he led her out the door. He walked her to his car and opened the door for her. I smiled. He was a gentle man. He walked to the other side of the car and looked up at me he smiled.

 "I'll take good care of your mother, I promise" he said. I smiled.

 "You better Mister, and you better have her back at a decent time" I said, playfully placing my hands on my hips. David laughed.

 "Of course" he said. I nodded. He waved and hopped into the car and they drove off. I smiled and walked back inside. Day was standing behind me with a smiled on his face. I smiled back. We both knew what this meant. Maybe, just maybe, my mom could find love again.