22. Under The Shattered Moon

"Master, where are you going?"

Two people are currently present within the Pleiades Watchtower, just a few days after its completion. And even though it was only for a short time, it already felt like home for them. Yet, for the Sage's Apprentice, that feeling started to fade as she saw her master upon the tower's entrance.

The hooded man stood still in front of the gates of the watchtower, quietly sighing as he looked back.
Almost like you could see his remorse for not answering.

He had nasty eyes and a sharp look from a glance, but a gentle and melancholic smile rose upon his face. He looked ready to depart, despite his emotions he had something he had to fulfill, a mission that didn't abide failure.

In his arm was a book, the Sage's Gospel, which could easily be mistaken as a copy of the tome of wisdom for the ignorant populace, but if one was astute enough they could tell the difference by observing its star-themed engravings etched onto it.

"There's something I must handle alone, something that I don't want you to see." He sighed again while clenching his fists. He promised he wouldn't talk in a broken voice, not raspy or insufficient. He will be who he is and continues, "Shaula, trust me that you will keep your promise to me until I come back-"

"What do you mean!? Shaula thought that master would always want her to be with him, yep!" The scorpion girl exclaimed, tears welling up in her green eyes.

She was so sure of herself, she had to be or she would break. The devotion she showed was nothing short of madness, or obsession. Yet, her tears plastered over her face, spoke of her true desires. She didn't want to be alone, not once more. Not again, not after meeting her master whom she loves and enjoys with all her being.

The hooded man, her master, approached her and placed a hand upon her shoulder, "Shaula...listen to me, this mission is something that could probably cost both of our lives if we do it together-"

"Master's going to die isn't he!? Shaula does not want that! Do not lie to me! Master can't die, can he!? If master dies then I'll die too, yep!" She cried out, her screams echoing as she uttered those words from her heart, "Master can't die! He's master! Invincible and awesome. Someone that this first class lady recognizes, so please…. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME MASTER…"

"If you don't want me to die, then listen to me! I...your master won't die, I promise you that for certain. But this mission is something of a big gamble, a last wish of mine that I want to complete." He said to her, giving off a sigh, as if he really didn't want to do this unless there's another way to do it.

Yet he couldn't help it, tears welled in his eyes, is he such a bastard to abandon someone that would sacrifice their very being for himself? He doesn't deserve it, he doesn't need these feelings… each of them stab at his heart and make his resolve falter. Yet the mission is too important; it cannot fail, so he continued, "I don't want you to get involved because I can't guarantee that you'll be happy at the end of it. I don't want you to be sad, I'll never want that, ever."

"But if master doesn't want Shaula to be sad, then why is master leaving then!? Master's such a promise-breaker! Shaula does not like that quality, yep!" If master dies, then Shaula will die with master! Happy and content… please don't leave me.."

He gazed downwards as he did his best to hide his emotions. He tried to not care, to cast her away. Yet, he is flawed just like the hands he so treasured. It was a gesture made not because of refusing to admit the flaw his apprentice had just called out, but because of his resentment; His resentment towards this final decision he must take in order to have this whole ordeal set in place. His resentment towards seeing his 'daughter' crying in front of his own eyes. His resentment towards himself.