♔ xxiii. "Again."

Seulgi watched and listened as her phone rang, flashing his name on her screen

Seulgi watched and listened as her phone rang, flashing his name on her screen. Although she had sent him that message, although she craved to hear his voice, something within wouldn't let her answer. And at the very back of her mind, she knew she was going to regret it.

"I know she might not like me the same way you do. She most likely doesn't even hold the same affection I have for her..." His words echoed in her mind. Her heartbeat kept an erratic rhythm as the thought of him arrived. She could not help but hold her breath at the memory of what followed;

"But even if that's the case, I love Seulgi and to me, that's what matters and nothing else." Love, he says; such a curious thing. A word, a feeling that brings butterflies to her stomach, flowers blooming in her chest, and hurricane in her thoughts.

When the ringing stopped, Seulgi shut her eyes tight, sighed and let the darkness of the night fill the room.

•••

The next morning, Seulgi woke up sick. She felt terrible as soon as the sun shone through her window. Her best friend insisted on her staying home to rest but she refused. Not even Irene's advice was heard. Seulgi forced herself to get through the start of the day, ate so little, and dragged her heavy weight to school as her companions watched in worry.

"I really think you should be resting instead, Seul." Wendy sighed as she held on her friend, worried that she might fall. Seulgi could only shake her head, defiant.

The moment they were in front of their class, Seulgi let go of Wendy and stood straight, let out a deep sigh and walked steadily to her seat. She had put up a façade as much as she could and Wendy could only watch her helplessly.

Taehyung who saw the two arrive stood up and walked over to greet them, "Good morning!" In which both girls replied back as enthusiastically as him. Despite that, he couldn't help but notice something was off. He looked at Wendy in wonder and she could only laugh awkwardly. He then turned to Seulgi and paused. Yup, something's not right. He thought to himself.

Returning to his seat, he turned to his best friend and nudged him. "I think you should drop that pride of yours and go check on her." With pursed lips and clenched fist, he frowned at Taehyung and turned his head to take a quick glance but he couldn't really get a clear glance at Seulgi as she was looking outside the window, her head resting on her hand.

He couldn't ponder over it longer as their homeroom professor had arrived and classes begun. He couldn't even get the chance at all as everything went by so fast and Seulgi didn't separate from Wendy at all up until their art class. Jimin looked at the empty chair beside Kei. He then looked at the girl, an unspoken question relayed through his eyes and for some reason, she had understood him.

"I heard she was brought to the clinic... didn't you know she was feeling sick since morning?" Kei asked, bewildered. She had met both girls before their respective homeroom classes begun and had noticed Seulgi's condition. She thought that Jimin would be the first after her who would've known but it doesn't seem like it by the look he was giving her.