Chapter Two

I set the last of the bone china on the table gently, carefully looking the set over once again. I had soaked each piece in vinegar before I had wiped it clean. None of the delicate pieces had cracks or chips and for that I was thankful. It was a gift to Lisa for her mating to my father and I knew her rage at me for them having any damage would be enormous. So I handed each piece with absolute care.

I set my buffing cloth on the table before taking out the red fabric runners from the china cabinet. They would need to be cleaned as well. They weren't entirely dusty but they were getting a touch of a stale smell to them. I would switch them out with another set of runners and wash them before setting them in the bottom drawer storage of the china cabinet.

I set them over the back of a chair and crouched down as I opened the bottom drawer. The cheerful yellow runners and rich blue ones looked up at me and I grabbed one from each. I stood up and Lisa walked into the dining room. I could see her stiffen but she didn't acknowledge my presence.

"Would you like the yellow or the blue in the cabinet, ma'am?" I asked it as softly as I could, not wanting to give her a reason to be upset with me. She didn't look at me, merely glanced at the runners I held up before she flicked her hand at the blue one. I nodded and set the yellow one back in the drawer before grabbing the rest of the blue ones. I carefully set the runners into their proper spaces in the china cabinet.

"I want the platters in the middle shelf." The words were said tightly and I nodded before going around the table to grab the first platter and it's stand. "Mix the cups and the plates and make them look nice, but do not overlap the plates." At the orders I nodded as I set the first platter on the middle shelf. "And put the tea pot center in the middle shelf, slightly in front of the platters." Her voice was tight with agitation and I simply nodded, not willing to upset her further. "And give the glass doors a polish when it's done, they are looking dull." I nodded again as I moved back over to the table and grabbed the second platter and carried it over to the cabinet.

"And must you do your hair like that?" The snap in her voice was clear and I blinked, trying to figure out if I should respond or let her work it out of herself. "Braids always make you look lower class. I don't understand why you insist on them." She made a noise of disgust and I carefully put the second platter on the designated shelf.

I didn't blame her. I really didn't. She was always angry when she looked at me but who wouldn't when they had to raise their mate's affair child? She had been forced into the unwanted roll of parent to the half-breed her mate had created while mated to her. I would have been just as upset if that happened to me. I understood it. I really did.

She had always been angry when I grew but, but to be fair I never saw her before I arrived. She could have been completely different for all I knew but I understood if she made the change into an angry female. Having your mate order you to take care of his one night stand child would drive even the most saintly person to that level of anger. I just wished I wouldn't have had to deal with it. I wished I would have been allowed to stay with my mum, to live with her until the end.

Lisa was my step-mother in nothing but name and it made me ache for the mum I lost.

"You should just cut your hair. It's easier to maintain and everything would be proper." She stressed the word and I just nodded, moving over and picking up the tea pot, putting it in the middle of the platters. "No, forward a bit and move the platters closer together." I did as she instructed and she made a small sound of agreement, one that let me know she was content with the placing before I grabbed the plate stands and started setting them up on the other shelves.

"Hello, mum." Simon's voice was bright and cheerful and I glanced over my shoulder as he kissed her cheek. She was standing next to the doorway, her arms crossed over her chest and a heavy frown on her face as Simon came over, his duffle on his shoulder. "And hello my dearest, Enza." He bent down and I tilted my head so he could kiss my cheek. "Keeping out of trouble I hope." He winked at me as he pulled back.