Chapter Sixty-Seven

"There baby is!" The female technician smiled as a faint whooshing beat came through with the grainy picture. "A strong heartbeat. That's great." I blinked and looked at the little life before my eyes feel to my belly where the ultrasound wand was pressed to it and then back. That was my little female, the tiny little being I had argued with our mother goddess to keep. My eyes prickled with tears and I found myself smiling, a heated warmth moving through my chest looking grainy image of the tiny female growing inside me.

"Look at that. Growing very well, here is the nose and the little hands. I wonder if we can..." The technician shifted the wand and she gave a happy sound. "A little female! She's presenting really well, growing very well. Everything is developing as it should." The technician looked at me with a smile and I nodded.

"I knew she was female." Mene had told me but seeing her was different than hearing it from the goddess. She had the sweetest little face profile, she looked like a little baby. I knew she was, she was so tiny but she was nearly fully formed. I knew she had so much more growing to do, all of her insides still needed to grow but the little shell that would house them was something so beautiful to look at.

"Sometimes mama's just know. She's growing perfectly. Nothing to worry about on the developmental end of her growth. A stellar pregnancy by all accounts." The technician smiled a bit wider and Duffy gave a small sound of acknowledgement.

"That's good." She gave a nod as she bounce Maeve, the little girl was fussing, her eyes on me the entire time I had been lying on the small table "It's good that the baby is healthy." Duffy kissed Maeve's cheek at the little female fussed, reaching for me. It took all I had not to reach out for her in return.

"Here, I'll get you some good pictures of baby and a recording of her heartbeat." The technician moved the wand around before reaching over to the machine and pressing a few buttons. Several grainy, black and grey images were spit out and I swallowed hard. Pictures of my little female. I felt more than blessed by it but another part of me was saddened that Brochan wasn't here to see it with me, that he wasn't there to see our little female. I felt a little hurt he hadn't wanted to come, that he had said no. I knew I should have expectedit but it still hurt all the same. A lot had happened and it was clearly he wasn't ready to be around me or the baby. It must have been a tremendous shock to him to learn of it. He needed time. I said it to myself firmly. He just needed time.

"Alright. Let's get you cleaned up and you should be all cleared to finalize your intake." The technician gave anther warm and friendly smile as she grabbed what looked to be a paper towel and cleaned the wand before carefully wiping away the jelly off of my stomach. "There we go." She tossed the paper towel away and I carefully pulled down my shirt and sat up, swinging my legs over the edge of the table.

I reached out towards Duffy, wanting Maeve safe in my arms. Duffy chuckled but moved over, handing me the little female. Maeve nearly dived into my arms and I pulled her close, tucking her against my chest as I rubbed her back. I loved her so much. So very much. I was so thankful I was able to have the chance to hold her in my arms again. I had missed her, more than anything and I loved her just as much.

She buried her little face in my neck and fussed a bit before sniffing deeply at my skin, her little hands grabbing me. "I know, my love." I murmured the words to her as I rubbed a bit more firmly at her back. "I love you too, so much." I did. I loved her to the moon and back. I glanced at Duffy and she was taking the pictures from the technician and a small strange rectangular stick thing.

"Alright. Let's get you moving." Duffy was no nonsense as she gestured at me to follow her. I nodded and quickly got off the table, holding Maeve close as I did so. I followed the older female out of the room and continued to rub at Maeve's back.