Chapter Sixty-Nine

Maeve lifted the small, purple monkey stuffy towards me. “Sa badadadada.” She nodded seriously and I smiled at her.

“I see it, it’s a monkey.” I tapped it and she giggled before promptly trying to shove it in her mouth. I smiled at her warmly. I loved her so much. I could say it again and again but I did. I loved her cute little nose, her chubby cheeks, her strawberry blond curls. I loved her chunky little legs, her tiny toothy smile. I loved every bit of her.

“We just about there?” Duffy grumbled slightly as she said it and Jovan cleared his throat from the front seat.

“Nearly there.” The response was one I was grateful for. We had been driving for just about an hour. We had been teleported to a close Hunter checkpoint and then we had taken one of the SUVs that had been left there. I was just happy Maeve had calmed down. She had been a very unhappy little girl to get strapped into the car seat. She has cried for a while, just wanting me to hold her but Duffy and I worked together to distract her with toys so she would calm down

“Good. Because my ass is getting numb.” She shifted in her seat, making a sour face. “I’m too old for this long drive bullshit.” She shook her head, muttering darkly to herself and I felt a bit of a pang that she was stuck with me and when I opened my mouth she pinned me with a look. “If I didn’t want to be here, trouble, I wouldn’t be here. I’m old, I like to grumble, pay it no mind.” The look she had on dared me to say anything so I closed my mouth and once again looked at Maeve.

She pulled the small monkey out of her mouth and shoved it towards me as she babbled rapidly. I nodded at her, “I know, it’s a monkey.” She babbled again before shoving one of the arms into her mouth, drooling all over it.

“Holy shit!” The explosive curse came from the Hunter driving the SUV as he slammed on the brakes. The tires squealed and I slammed into my seat belt as we came to a stop. “What the fuck!” It was a barking reply right before my door was yanked open. I inhaled sharply, terror filling me as I went to turn when there was something that sounded like a wail

“Menza!” Lilith’s voice was a near wail as the female nearly crawled into my lap, her arms around my neck. “I- I-I missed you!” She wailed it into my neck and I blinked in shock before quickly hugging her back. I had missed her so much! My heart pounded in ym chest but I couldn’t help it. I had missed her and Doc Howard and everyone else!

“I mis-missed you too!” My own voice sounded wet as I hiccupped on the word and my eyes burned as I hugged her tightly. She didn’t let me go and seemed to settle on my lap before pulling back. Her eyes were red and she was crying but she just kissed me all over my cheeks.

“I missed you. I missed you. I missed you!” I sniffled and let out a small sob. “You were in pain and it was cold and dark and you were so unhappy!” She gave another wail before burying her face into my neck, squeezing me even tighter. “She-she-she told me I couldn’t help!” The words were muffled but came out on another wail and I just held her tighter. She felt healthy and substantial on my lap, almost heavy enough to be uncomfortable and her lack of belly reminded me that she had her son after I had left.

“I am all for reunions but can you please close the door so we can make it to the pack house?” Jovan’s voice was soft but there was a bit of a correction to it that had me blinking rapidly and nodding. Lilith didn’t say anything but tucked her feet up on the seat as I reached over and closed the door. “Thank you. Are you alright, Lilith?” Jovan’s voice seemed to go even more gentle and she sniffled loudly, pulling back from my neck, her breath shuddering out of her.

“Yah. I just missed her. She’s my best friend.” She looked at me, tears filling her eyes and I gave her a wavering smile. I was her best friend. That made a sharp and warm glow fill my chest. I hadn’t ever had a best friend before. I liked it. “I am so happy you are here. I was so worried.” She gave a heaving and shuddering sigh as she wiped at her face before she turned and looked down at Maeve. “Oh! Baby got so big!” She beamed and reached over, she stroked a finger down Maeve’s cheek and the little female beamed and giggled, reaching for her.