Chapter Two: Part Two

"Do you know how rare people like you are? One in every like million. Which is a total quick estimate. There are like four of you in North America and with four million shifters, that is one in a million. Roughly." He looked at me before we stopped at the edge of the field. He set his duffle down and I frowned as I watched him pull out his water bottle and his towel.

"Why do you know that?" There was no reason for him to have such obscure information about half-breeds. We weren't exactly well liked.

"I can be a well read individual, Menza. You wound me." He set his water bottle down before clutching his chest and staggering as if I had mortally wounded him.

"It's a really niche subject." I held out my hand and he handed me his towel.

"Well I have a really niche sister, so there." He stuck his tongue out at me as he scrunched up his face. "Okay, I'm going to go scrimmage and run some drills. You sit right here and wait for me." He gave me a look as he pointed next to his duffle bag and I nodded as I moved over and sat down. I adjusted my skirt so it sat nice and then folded his towel as he pulled off his shirt. He handed it to me and I took it as well, carefully folding it and draping it over my lap like I did the towel.

I kept my eyes on Simon, watching intently as he shook out his arms and bounced on the balls of his feet. I wasn't the only female sitting and watching. There were quite a few but I knew I might as well been alone because none of them would ever approach me. Despite that, it was nice to get out of the house and enjoy the sunshine. I pulled my left braid over my shoulder and carefully unravelled it halfway before redoing it, keeping each strand tight and perfect against the other. I had noticed it was bunching weird, as if the strands had pulled strange and I needed to fix it.

Simon paired off with on of his friends and I could see them talking and laughing but couldn't hear them over the others. I didn't mind. It was just nice to be outside for a bit. I folded my hands in my lap and closed my eyes as I turned my face towards the sun. The warmth of it felt nice on my skin and I felt like laying down and basking but that wasn't proper. I settled for just sitting and basking, soaking in the warmth of the sunshine and the crisp breeze and the fresh air. It was good enough for me.

I knew I was going to get in trouble with Lisa and then father when Simon escorted me home but for a brief moment, the sunshine on my face and the beautiful breeze was well worth it. I didn't know what punishment father would give me but it would happen, I just hoped it wasn't taking a strap to my hands. At least with Lisa's punishments it was cleaning something that required hours of back breaking work but it was better than nursing throbbing hands for the night.

"Well well well, if it isn't the little half breed." At the words my eyes popped up and I hunched in on myself. One of the lower ranks was staring at me. I believed his rank was Delta but I wasn't sure, all I knew was if he was there then I would be in much more trouble. "Why aren't you back in your kennel and out of sight like the good little bitch you are?" His tone was questioning but the words had shame colouring my cheek as I lowered my head, unable to say anything as I was hit with a wave of crippling timidness. I never really interacted with anyone in the pack, especially the ranks. I didn't like how he made me feel.

"She's with Simon and I, Delta. I apologize I went to the bathroom for a moment and left her alone." Ellie's voice was respectful but strong as she sat herself beside me and I felt surprised that she stepped in but also happy she had. I didn't know what I was supposed to say or do with him.

He crouched down in front of me, pinching my chin and forcing my face up. "Half-breeds belong in their cages and needs to stay away from actual wolves before they get mauled." His expression was mocking and I swallowed hard, my throat closing up. I didn't know what to say but the way he was looking at me scared me. It was a hungry sort of look that made me more than aware he was a predator and I was simply prey. "I think I know why William fucked your mother." He turned my head side to side, looking me over as my cheeks heated. "If she looked like you at all I get it. You're pretty fucking exotic looking. I wouldn't mind fucking you once or twice." His crass words had Ellie giving a gasp and my eyes widened and I cringed away from him.