Thirty Three

"They're back!"

As the two stepped in, the brothers could see that they indeed were waiting for their arrival. Uproars were heard as Jeno stifled a laugh beside Haechan, who seemed to have taken aback by it. Nevertheless, the two made their way forward, greeting their subjects before standing beside the male who seemed to have a warm smile on his face.

"It's nice to have you both back," his dimples being widely on display, the male greeted them as they bowed back, paying him respect. Jaehyun seemed to have changed a lot since the last time they saw him, Haechan noted. He seemed to have become even more strong remembering the pain that shot through his body when they were shaking hands. 

"Thank you Hyung," Jeno replied before facing the crowd, a strange sense of relief washing over his body. It felt great to be back despite missing the object of his affection.

"Are they here Jae?" A familiar voice broke in as the two princes saw their cousin rushing towards the courtroom, his hair a mess and his clothes disheveled. Stiffening a bit the two nodded their heads before standing closer to Jaehyun waiting for Taeyong to speak out.

"You came back...," Taeyong started as if the older monster wasn't the one behind their arrival, his eyes scanning the two before taking the place beside his partner. The two sensed that the male must not have let his subjects nor his lover know much about their meetings and what led to the comeback of the princes.

Taeyong too must have sensed their nervousness as he gestured the two to act along, a small smile spreading in his face before his eyes fell on the subjects.

"As we're pleased to have Prince Jeno and Prince Haechan back, the kingdom has arranged a special feast in its court so as to celebrate this moment with its subjects!"

Cheers could be heard as the two glanced at each other before looking to their side, Taeyong signaling them to move along. He was fast, they could give him that as the male stood there beside the exit, his eyes never leaving them. Jaehyun too seemed to have caught upon as he cleared his throat before nodding. The two bowed once again before following his suit, leaving Jaehyun to face and announce the rest of the events that were to be held to celebrate their comeback.

"The king wants to see you... he's not in a very good state...," was all he bothered to say as the two followed him clueless to his private chamber. Could that have been a reason for Taeyong's arrival to earth? Haechan thought as he watched the oldest male lead the way.

They couldn't help but notice the differences in the arrangement of the antiques present in the hall as the three walked their way to his highness's chamber, the youngest feeling nervous. Jeno could sense it as he grabbed his brother's hand, rubbing it gently, a gesture he knew would calm the other down. Haechan turned to his brother in gratitude before straightening his gaze, his eyes trailing behind the older who was now standing in front of the door. 

"Go ahead, I'll join you in a moment," nudging the two to enter, Taeyong turned on his heels walking in the opposite direction as the two stood there speechless, not knowing what to expect when they enter their father's room. Sighing heavily knowing one of them had to make a move Jeno stepped in pulling his brother in as well as earning a squeak from him. 

"Chan..." a voice resonated in the room as the said male hid behind his brother, his eyes peeking out as the two could see the older male getting up from his bed, the light flowing into the room in an instance. There sat the male in his king-size bed, his eyes drooping and his face showing excess tiredness. Their father looked awful, the man they left behind was nowhere in similarity to the one they were facing now. 

"You came back," he said once again as he patted the side near his bed, his eyes roaming around, trying to adjust to the light. Haechan nor Jeno murmured as they sat beside their father, a stranger comfort ness surrounding them.

"I missed you both..." a hug, that's what they felt as he pulled them both closer, nuzzling his head in between theirs, a smile spreading on his lips. It was strange, their dad was never the one to express his emotions yet here he was, tears brimming his eyes and holding his two boys as if they were the most precious for him, the two gems he would never want to lose. 

"I missed you both so much..." he repeated his words like a mantra, a part of him afraid of losing them once again as he pressed his lips onto their foreheads, a gesture which was long forgotten since it's been ages since he ever kissed them. Haechan could see that Jeno seemed to be satisfied by his father's actions, his eye smile on display, not mirror any of the anxiousness of his brother as he sat there eagerly waiting for the older man to speak. 

"Dad..." 

"You wouldn't leave me again right...?" worry was written all over his face as he roamed his eyes back and forth between his two kids as Haechan sat there biting his lip, trying not to let his emotions overpower him. But it was hard to not let his guard come down. He was inside the walls of his home, the place he grew up, and the very own walls that had seen him go through multiple breakdowns. It was hard to not let go as he broke down to the arms of his father who welcomed him without a complaint, his fingers running through his hair. 

"It's okay... let it all out... and Jeno, I know you have a lot to say about your stay with the earthlings but save it for the dinner," 

Jeno nodded eagerly, his eyes trailing back to his brother who looked like a mess. The sight however warmed him up, their dad reminding him of a prominent figure in their lives.

Their mom. 

The last time he had ever seen his brother have a breakdown like the one he was going through right now was probably when their mother was still in their lives. She was the one who they ran to and strangely enough, she had a solution for their problems. One way or the other she knew how to calm her boys down. 

He knew his brother too might have felt that as he was laying on their father's arm, his hold strong yet nurturing and his eyes comforting. Perhaps the thought of losing his only family might have changed the man, Jeno thought. 

The three of them dared to not speak any further as sniffles could be heard adding to the emotional atmosphere, the king's eyes fixated on his son while the two laid there, warmth engulfing them. Taeyong, though he promised he would, didn't show up and the two were thankful for that. Jeno, as much as he loved and respected the male, didn't want him to interrupt their private moment, and Haechan who was in the middle of a breakdown to not let someone else view his vulnerable side. 

TBC

a short update to get back into writing <33 

Okay hear me out, I would no longer say "I'll go on an update spree" cause you and I both know that's a lie. But I would honestly love to format a schedule tho... maybe twice or thrice a week ig.

Also can't believe it's been a year since monster started and we're still nowhere near the ending :/ I promise I'll try to be even better and hopefully not disappoint you guys <33

Speaking of that the past weeks have been hectic starting off with my exams and yk the Lucas situation. Tbh I didn't even know I was that attached to that guy until then when it mentally exhausted me. 

anyways leave that, how was your week? I hope it wasn't that bad for you. I spent my days watching tarot videos about my future spouse lol. What's even amusing is that I keep getting the same reading again and again so that got my hopes up high imao. 

Well that's all I have to say now ig...as always take care and stay safe <33