Chapter 6

"Breathe, Blake!" Mya chippered, slurping her hot chocolate. "Wind magic uses the air to connect you to the element. Always inhale before you cast a spell."

Taking a deep breath, Blake touched his right-hand palm towards the Vetusios gem on his bracelet, now attached to the bracelet beside the Arsios stone. His rune appeared and soon started to glow, showing that it was fully charged. "Sutev."

Wind erupted from his palm hitting the can across the field. "There you go," said Mya, chuckling as Blake cheered, jumping up and down. He had never been so excited to knock a can over. "A good try. Not very useful in real life, but train this spell. If you can handle it well enough next week, I will teach you a more practical wind spell."

"Like what?" asked Blake, eager to learn. Chuckling at his sparkling eyes, Mya put the cup away.

Touching the Vetusios gem on her necklace, she closed her eyes. "Sutev Irum."

Blake could hear the wind come, and a light gale touched his face but nothing else. Opening her eyes, she waved for him to come over. Blake rushed over, and was just about to come close to her when he ran into something. Hard.

With a thump, he landed on his back with an aching nose. Looking up at what must be an invisible wall with wide eyes.

"Oh dear, I should have warned you," Mya said worryingly. "I keep forgetting that not all people are-"

Mya's eyes narrowed, she whispered something and the trees seemed to move for a second before a yip echoed beyond some bushes."-that not all boys are as hardy as mine."

Frowning at the bushes, but not seeing anything, Blake rose to touch what seemed to be a wall of wind stopping him from moving closer. "Amazing, is this the wind spell you will teach me?"

"Yes, though the irum spell can be used with all elements," Mya said. "Irum means wall, the wind wall is the strongest, pretty much sending back most elemental spells and even some Arcane ones that travel through the air. It is a good defensive spell. It works with water and earth as well, but I would suggest not using it with fire."

"Why not?"

"I friend of mine when I was younger thought it would be awesome with a wall of fire. It would look impressive. Unfortunately, it had some terrible repercussions. The fire spread when coming in contact with things, and his wall of fire burned down half a yard and the head druid's house. We had to shovel manure for weeks after that."

"So, fire and wall are bad. How do I know which spell works with what element?"

"By understanding the nature of that element. The nature of fire is to feed and grow, we can control it by limit the contact it has with other elements. That includes wind. Though I'm sure Leon will tell you this, since he is your fire spell teacher, but most fire spells are often more or less shaped and travel through the air. When it hits its target or touches the solid ground then you will seize to control it. It's one of the reasons why it is so important to learn the spell that extinguishes flames."

"Then can I use the extinguish spell on the other elements?" asked Blake, suddenly getting the idea. If the elemental spells are determined by one word, then you can just add it to the word for that element to create that spell, right.

"You are starting to see the essence of elemental magic, but only one other element can be extinguished and that is wind. Do you know why?" asked Mya, her eyes sparkling. "Think about what the elements have in common."

"I don't-"

"Think about it, in some cultures such as in Asia the four elements are divided into two opposite. Heaven and Earth, Yin and Yang. Light and dark. Which two elements belong to heaven and which two elements belong to Earth. "