Chapter 20

Jaxon turned to the minotaur, now accompanied by two golems. This was quickly going south. With a growl, his mind melted with Nightmane who was in utter agreement. Protect Blake. His body cracked, and twisted. Having no time to consider it, he forgot to focus on his clothes so when his body grew the clothes ripped leaving only straps on his body.

He leaped from the horse at one of the golems, his claws on the wolflike body piercing the clay skin easily. Nightmane smelled something else, something unfamiliar and something dangerous. Turning around he saw an anax in a cat-like form, ripping through the other golem with a savage ferociousness.

The minotaur didn't stop though, rushing past them with a lowered head like it was about to use those horns to pierce Blake. Jaxon let out a growl, intending to take chase when Ahriman's voice echoed through the Elan coven.

"Mimnaisko Pallas horkos."

His words made no sense to Jaxon, they felt foreign but he did not recognize the language. He assumed it was magic but nothing happen. At least nothing magical. The emissaries from Ecclesia on the other hand moved. The leader in his gleaming armor pulled out a spear and in a glimmer of light, he was suddenly fully armored with an ancient Greek helmet.

The leader let out a cry that resonated with the other warriors sending them into a frenzy, "Alala!"

A swirling aura of magic and power erupted from the warriors as they threw themselves at the minotaur that did not have a chance against the god-blooded beings that has been taught how to fight since before they were able to talk.

Having their opponent subdued, Jaxon and the cat-like anax that smelled of Alex, ran toward the fleeing horses, they could hear Scarlett Graycrest's maddening cries behind them but they did not care as Blake opened a portal and led them into freedom.

*****

Alex grimaced at the crowd staring at him, his whiskers moving up and down and tail swishing irritated. "There is a very good reason for this."

"I sure hope so, because I thought you being an anax would have been good information to have," Elliott said in clear annoyance, as he took the chest from Blake who hadn't shown much interest in Alex. He was far more interested in Jaxon and quickly walked over to him to stroke his long noise. The wolf-like anax form looked ridiculous. The lord of all wolves was happily panting while being petted, his tail going a hundred miles an hour. Seriously? Do wolves even wag their tail?

"I am not a true anax. I... My bloody father did this to me using dark magic and sacrifices. I'm not sure how and frankly, I don't want people to know. Too many shifters would think killing people to get an anax would be an acceptable exchange," Alex muttered, noticing Hadrien looking over at him. He had already known so he wasn't shocked. He just looked at him with sympathy.

Forcing his cat down, Alex slowly returned to his human form. Elliott watched him for a while before letting out a sigh," I guess that is sensible but I wish you could teach this prat how to use his anax form more sensible."

Elliott painted at Jaxon who still was occupied with Blake.

"Just leave them alone for a while, he will most likely turn back on his own," Ahriman suggested, his eyes watching the chest.

"And you, what was that you shouted?" Alex asked. "To get the Ecclesia to fight for us."

"The Ecclesia?" Elliott's eyes turned sharp. "What were they doing there?"

"They apparently had come to take all the artifacts that once belonged to them since the rumors of Elan coven abusing the artifacts has spread," Alex was still not willing to let it go though. "Did you put a spell on them? Controlling them? That could be-"