Chapter 22

(A picture of Eden Price, enjoy chapter 22!)

The whole family was in a fuzz, Jaxon had snuck in to see his niece several times and been pulled out by the neck by his mother. He couldn't help it. She was so small and adorable. Nightmane whined, wanting to curl up to the little pup and lick her silly, but Elliott just kicked him out growling at him.

Barely being able to leave his daughter's side, Elliott constantly holds his child close to his heart. At least until two weeks later when the little pup is able to walk, or at least tumble around. Then the mansion was in constant disarray to hunt for the little pup, stumbling around and yipping with her little pink tongue happily hanging out.

She was always found on the sofa sleeping in Kai's lap while he looked like had a lion panting down his neck. It was both hilarious and heartbreaking that his niece seem to have already chosen her favorite uncle, and it wasn't him!

Joanne on the other hand had been quiet. Refusing to look at her new daughter, and even refused to name her. Elliott had no idea what to do other than to give her time, while telling everyone that the little angel's name would be Eden, after Joanne's grandmother.

Joanne's parents had come over and made the whole thing more awkward by apologizing for their daughter giving birth to a delta which only made Elliott angrier. Kai was ready to throw them both out but Mya held the boys in check. It all seem to calm down after a while though, at least Jaxon thought so until he came home one day to see the house empty except Elliott sitting with his daughter in his laps, his head held down.

"What happened?" Jaxon sniffed the air, but nothing seem to be out of sorts.

"She left," Elliott said. His voice was a mere whisper like he feared he would disturb the playing pup in his arms.

"Who?" Jaxon said, but he already knew. Joanne. He could feel it in the unsaid words on Elliott's lips.

"The pack is out looking for her, but-" Elliott's eyes flashed. "How could she abandon our daughter?"

"Joanne is many things, but perfect was never one of them," Jaxon said and sat down by his brother. His strong elder brother looked so small at the moment that it broke his heart. "She was more focused on rank, that she couldn't see how beautiful Eden is."

"She isn't the only one," Elliott said with a groan. "Harrison wants me to announce you as my heir."

"But Eden-"

"Is a delta not an alpha. Which means that she isn't suitable to be the next patriarch, or in her case, the matriarch."

Jaxon leaned into the sofa, his eyes watching the ceiling. "Do you remember the story our father used to tell us about the first alpha?"

"Of course, all alphas are told that story."

"Yeah, to you it was a story about the responsibility of an alpha while Kai just thought alphas were awesome. I never told you my feelings on the story," Jaxon said, smiling at his brother. "I thought the delta was the grandest part of the story."

"The delta?" Elliott stared incredulously at his brother.

"Yes, the delta," Owen walked into the room, smiling at his youngest son. "Seems like one of my sons understood the importance of that story. Even if I'm surprised by you being the one who got it."

"Hey!"

"So let me remind you of the story of the first alpha," Owen said, pulling out a chair and watching his two sons. "I think it might help you understand what your brother is trying to tell you."

"In ancient times, when trees grew wild and wolves ran free. The first pack was led by a gentle and kind leader. She was wise, always leading the pack to the fertile lands filled with deer, guarding the pack against cold winters, and always making peace when wolves were arguing.