Chapter 19

(A picture of Laura Graycrest, Enjoy chapter 19!)

"Damnit," hissed Jaxon and tried to hide Blake who stood there pale and wide-eyed, watching the witches move across the strange architectures made of roots, wood, and magic in a circle-like form.

"Calm down, do not hide him like that. It will draw more attention to him," Dale hissed, standing in front of Blake far more casually than Jaxon was feeling.

"Take my medallion," Wallace said.

"What about you?" Blake asked, but grabbed onto the medallion handed to him.

"I am from a druid circle across the country and have been here only for a few months. I doubt that any of these people have ever laid eyes on me," Wallace reassured him but moved in to hide between the group.

"We need to move before we draw too much attention to us," Alex muttered, looking around. "Leon said to go this way."

Nightmane growled and snarled in his mind at every witch walking by, ready to defend Blake if anyone made a move while Jaxon desperately held the wolf back trying to look normal as they walked up the stairs.

He had never been inside Crann Eolais, and could only stare at some of the sights. Fairies and gnomes moving about, magic thick in the air and floating lanterns in every color possible. It truly looked magical.

"Does it always look like this?" Jaxon whispered to Blake.

"Not really, the lanterns are new and I swear there are more people around," Blake replied, watching the stands filled with snacks and strange drinks.

"It's most likely the Samhain. It is celebrated by the fae and fairies alike. Thin veil and all that," Wallace said, suddenly freezing when a group of people walked past them.

They were bronze-skinned, tall, and looking like gods. Their eyes were sharp and they wore ancient Greek clothes. What was most frightening though was not that they looked out of place, but that their eyes seemed to be able to focus on their group. The leader, a lean teenager with shoulder-long curly, raven hair and dark eyes on a tanned skin gave Blake a rather sexy smile, suited for a Greek, as he could see him despite the illusion that currently was cast on him. Which only made Jaxon want to turn around and punch him even more, but Alex just grabbed onto him and pulled him along.

Fortunately, none lingered but it still was frightening. "What was that?" Jaxon asked, glancing back at the people now out of sight, or rather glaring after the leader.

"Emissaries from the Ecclesia, or the Assembly in English," Wallace replied, clearly in awe. "I have only heard of them from legends.

"Ecclesia?" Dale's eyes went wide. "I didn't know they were still around."

"I don't know who they are, period," Jaxon muttered as they continued on, now more hurriedly as there were apparently creatures here who could see them.

"The Ecclesia was the first council of magic. Created in ancient Greece with members all over the world. They created the laws enforced by their warriors and obeyed by all magical. Of course, this was when the veil where thinner and magic was everywhere. When the veil became more prominent and the realms lost contact with each other the Ecclesia tried to hold them together. Walking between worlds as emissaries but they have lost much of their power over the years," Dale explained. "They were the ones that came up with the law that shifters shouldn't use magic after the fights between witches and shifters became too prominent. In return, the witches would not ever be the first one to start a war with the shifters."

"I'm guessing they are here because of the war between the shifters and the witches," Blake said.

"Yes, I imagine so. Though I doubt they can do much. They could only enforce the law forbidding shifters from using magic because the witches and shifters has turned over the judgment to them during that time. The two parties wanted peace and trusted the Ecclesia to be neutral. If we want to break the old rule then that is up to us," Dale said with a shrug, going silent as they finally arrived at the vault.