Chapter 8

(A picture of Cainen Harwen, Enjoy the chapter!)

Sniffing, Blake shuddered as he stood by the river in nothing but his underwear, holding onto Coney for warmth. The sun had barely peeked over the horizon making the air cold from the morning dew. Looking with indignation at Cainen who was fully dressed. There were no cold shivers on his tanned skin and the green eyes glittered with amusement.

"I hope there is a reason why you pull me out of bed at such an early time and tells me to get undressed in the middle of nowhere," Blake said, seriously considering throwing Coney at Cainen if he didn't give him a satisfying answer.

"For my amusement?" Cainen said, his voice smooth as he scratched his perfectly trimmed beard. Perfectly fitting the sex appeal coming off him. A faint smirk twisted the corners of his lips which only made him look even more like every girl's wet dream. Well, maybe Blake's too, once upon a time, but now that spot was occupied by a slightly dim-witted wolf shifter with the most stunning blue eyes.

"I will burn you. Starting a fire is one of the few spells I can do but it has come in handy," Blake grunted.

Raising his hands in surrender, Cainen smirked, "I'm jesting. Leon will teach you fire magic in the evening. Now it's my turn and we need to get through the water trial in order for you to start learning water magic."

Blake perked up at the mention of the water trial. "So, it is finally time."

"If you succeed it will prove that you can use all the elements, Blake!" said Coney, satisfied with being carried despite his previous complaints when Blake had lifted him up. Now he nestled closer to Blake's chest, adamant to keep him warm.

"I remember, up until now it has only been speculated that I might be able to do it. Being able to use fire and wind has already been proven, though I am not that great at it. Normally, I wouldn't be able to use an opposite element," Blake muttered, looking around. His eyes falling on the river. "I'm assuming there is a reason why we are by the river."

"Indeed. Step into the river, kitten," Cainen said laughing at Blake who gave him a flabbergasted glance. "You will need to be in the water to start the water trial."

Grumbling, Blake put down Coney and scurried over to the river. The water was fairly calm here, and the water was clear. Dipping his toe, Blake's entire body shuddered as the icy water touched his skin. Looking over at Cainen who gave him shooing motions, Blake gritted his teeth and went in. Gasping as the cold water sent a shock through him. Slowly, between rushed breaths, Blake paddles out until the water was up to his waist.

Coney was jumping back and forth, clearly worried but didn't say anything.

"What now?" asked Blake between clenched teeth. Really wanting to get this over with.

Cainen leaned down, touching the water that rippled. As it did, a glow flowed outwards, enveloping Blake and the river. Suddenly, everything vanished except the water. The sky was dark, with a full moon above them. Large and staring, while the water was clear.

"Cainen?"

"Can you see it?"

"See what?"

"The emissary of the water spirit. The water spirit would send it with the challenge."

Blake looked around. There was none there. None but him and the water. "There is no one-" Blake silenced as something caught his eyes. Something moving in the water, glowing with the vibrant color of white and orange with a moon crescent on its back. A koi fish moved between his legs, touching him as if wanting his attention.