Chapter 28

Staring up at the dancing lights in the sky, Jaxon noticed that Nemain had tensed up. He closed his glowing eyes, readying his spear. Nightmane was on high alert, growling and Jaxon allowed their body to sniff the air. It was hard to sense anything outside the thick air of magic now residing in the glade but there was a small hint of burning, ash, and smoke coming in.

Before Jaxon could react, Nemain's hand moved, slashing his spear. A grimace spread through his face when the spear was caught with ease by Ahriman who was looking up at the sky with narrowed eyes. "My brother sure likes to make his presence known. At least he didn't show up as a burning bush this time."

Two burning eyes met Nemain's emerald eyes. Both gleamed with power as the gravity suddenly felt heavier, pushing everyone down on their knees. All except Jaxon who with a grimace, forced himself up to his feet.

"Where is Blake?" his voice, coming out of half transformed throat, was dark and rumbling. A slight tremor made it sound even more like thunder. A familiar scent reached his nose, twitching with the mix of smoke, ash, and... Rabbit?

Blake peered out from Ahriman's back, waving at him with a shy smile on his face before his eyes went wide when Nemain's eyes turned to him. Blake immediately scurried back behind Ahriman's back, hiding safely from the wrath of the archon.

"Your brat disrupted my plans," Nemain said with a matter-of-fact voice. He sounded bored but there was a sharpness in his eyes that told Jaxon that he wasn't pleased that Blake had pushed over his hearth of ire.

"What can I say? He got it from his father," Ahriman smirked, fastening his grip on the spear and pushing Nemain back.

Nemain huffed, pulling back his spear with a glance at the sky. Jaxon noticed that Blake was watching the avatar of Shiva, the woman glaring at them from the ground. Her wound has closed up, but she was still beaten blue. The demon stood in front of her, shielding her from attacks.

Blake's eyes then turned to Jaxon who was also bleeding, cuts and bruises covered his body. Jaxon had barely noticed them when they were fighting but now when relief flooded him, the pain was finally reaching his conscious mind. The wounds were still there as not even in his anax form did he have the healing ability of a god.

"Why don't we finish this up before my brother comes here to break us up," Ahriman said, black smoke swirling around him.

Nemain raised his spear, pointing it at Ahriman's heart. Green fire ran along with the spear. Its light filled the glade. "I can defeat one lost archon."

"What about two?" Blake's voice came out sharply. He moved out from Ahriman's back with eyes set in stone.

Pulling out his medallion, he leaned down whispering the enchantment "Draw lid." The words resounded in the glade, turning the medallion into black mist. Engulfing Blake, making him invisible. The air sparkled with electricity, seemingly coming out of Blake. The air seemed to tense up, the sky crackled under the pressure and Jaxon remember his and Ahriman's previous discussion about Blake taking his form.

"And why didn't you take Ahriman's form. It seems easier."

"Not if he didn't want to destroy the world. Archons might just seem random but when we are created by an Anterion they literally change the universe for us. If Blake would change into my form he would have to do that as well or the universe or at least this realm breaks into the middle."

"Blake!" Jaxon scouted, shocked by the power coming out of Blake forcing him back into his human form. The sky seemed to tear under the pressure of a new archon entering a space that didn't exist. Forcing himself out and bending all the things surrounding him to make way.