3. Flashback (3)

Seb held the door open for Mollie.  She walked into the hotel room, wincing as the pain shot through her ribs. 

The hospital had let her leave at breakfast time and had discharged her into Seb's care.  They'd heard just before they left that Annette Laurent had sustained a double leg fracture and was undergoing surgery.  Not nice, but at least it wasn't life threatening.

Mollie carefully sat down on the bed and Seb helped her put her feet up. 

"Anything I can get you baby?"he asked.  She shook her head.  He climbed onto the bed besides her and put his arm around her. 

"Did you tell Otmar you're not racing? I think you're being stupid.  I'll be fine."

"I told him and he totally understands."

"Have you checked if there's any news on Elena?"

"Baby I'd tell you if there was.  Stop stressing."

Mollie smiled. Seb was being so sweet and protective, but he was driving her mad. She thought his decision not to race was a bit of an overreaction. Yes, she was in pain, but she didn't need a nursemaid.

Seb began pressing light kisses to her neck. She felt goosebumps popping up on her skin. She sighed.

Seb pulled back and grinned at her.

"Sorry to break this to you lover but I'm in too much pain for sex right now if that's what you're hinting at."

Seb burst out laughing. "Baby, I know. I'm not after sex. I'm just trying to show you what you mean to me." Mollie rested her head on his shoulder and they just lay together in silence for a while.

Then Seb's phone buzzed with a text. He sat up and opened it.

Britta: Seb I need to speak to you ASAP. Alone.

Seb stood up off of the bed.

"Britta wants me to call her. I'll just take it in the bathroom. You try and rest."

Mollie nodded.

Seb closed the bathroom door behind him. He had a really bad feeling.

Britta answered immediately.

"Britta, what is it?"

"Seb, there's no easy way of saying this. I'd prefer to have done it in person but the news has leaked and I wanted you to hear it from me, not from the media. It's Elena. She's passed away from her injuries. I'm sorry. I know she meant something to you once. Seb! Seb are you there?"

Seb felt numb, then he felt a sob rising in his chest. Elena, no. Not Ellie. He knew that they'd grown apart but she'd been a big part of his life for so long.

"Thank you Britta, " he said quietly, before hanging up. He sat down on the toilet and started sobbing. How was it fair that she'd lost her life? She was so young. She was just 29 for fuck's sake.

He eventually got his sobs under control. He had to tell Mollie. He didn't know how he was going to do it. He splashed some water on his face and opened the door.

He was too late. He saw the tears rolling down Mollie's face as she looked at her phone. He'd forgotten that Cassie had brought her things over before they'd got back.

Mollie looked at him. "Tell me it's not true. Please God no. She can't be dead. "

"Mols, I wish it wasn't." He went to the bed to take her in his arms. She pushed him away.

"No! Don't touch me." She started sobbing.

"Mols, come on. You didn't even like her," he said, immediately regretting his words.