44. Presentation Night

A/N: This is the penultimate chapter.  Just the epilogue to go.  Thank you all for reading and I hope you've enjoyed reading it.

Seb grimaced as Britta straightened up his bow tie. He hated dressing up but had no choice. It was the FIA Prize Giving night,  and as world champion he had to attend. As did Daniel and Lance.  And Mollie.  Mollie would be there. 

He hadn't seen or heard from her since that last night in Abu Dhabi ten days ago. Not that he'd expected to after how they had parted.

Everyone was still waiting for the official announcement from TBR confirming their Formula E lineup, but the rumour was it was Mollie and Lirim Zendeli from Formula 2.

As for Thorne Formula 1 team, they hadn't confirmed their line up either but Scott McDevitt was the red hot favourite to replace the Maranello bound Luca, partnering Will.

Seb and Britta, who was accompanying him, headed down to the lobby to meet Lance and his girlfriend, Sara.

Lawrence had arranged a limo for the four of them to travel in.

Seb stared out of the tinted window at the glimmering lights of Paris.  His life had changed in so many ways since last year's ceremony, but in the end he'd ended up in the same position as last year.  Without Mollie. 

They climbed out of the limo and entered the venue, the paparazzi's flashes going off all around them. 

He was pretty sure that they would finally cotton on to his and Mollie's split with them arriving separately. 

They were directed to their table and a waitress soon appeared, carrying a tray of complimentary champagne. Seb thanked her and took a glass. He slowly looked around the crowded room, trying to catch a glimpse of Mollie. He couldn't see her but that didn't mean she wasn't there.

He spotted Sophia and Ash coming through the entrance doors. They were escorted to the table next to Seb's. Sophia shot Seb an evil look before taking her seat. 

"Wow, if looks could kill..." Lance said to him.

"Then I'd be six feet under," Seb finished. 

Seb drained his glass and signalled to the waitress for another.  He was going to need it to get through the evening. 

He felt Britta's hand on his arm.  "Seb, she's here.  Now try not to react."

He turned and looked towards the entrance.  At first all he could see was her.  She looked stunning in a long dark green Grecian style dress with a long split up the side.  Her hair was twisted into some fancy up do. And for the first time that he remembered she was wearing earrings. 

Then he noticed the man at her side.  She had arrived arm in arm with Scott McDevitt. 

Seb felt sick.  Surely she hadn't moved on already? He gritted his teeth as Mollie and Scott headed to the neighbouring table.

It was going to be torture sitting so close to them all night.  He did his best not to look at them but she looked so damn beautiful.  If things had been different she would have been on his arm, not this cocky American's.

The evening progressed.  The awards were given out. Speeches were made.  Seb just wanted to leave.  Every so often he'd hear her laugh at something McDevitt had said. 

He finished yet another glass of champagne.  Why did he feel completely sober?  

McDevitt stood and headed off towards the bar. His hand lingered on Mollie's bare shoulder.  Seb had had enough. He stood up.

"Where are you going?" Britta asked him.

"Back to the hotel. I can't be around her any more. I'll get a taxi. You stay. Have fun." He walked off and headed outside.

***

Mollie watched as Seb walked out. He looked so bloody gorgeous in his tuxedo. It had been torture all evening, being so close but so far apart.

"He's going because of you, you realise that?" Britta said. "I know Seb's been an idiot and he's hurt you but that was cruel, flaunting your new man in front of him."

Mollie laughed. "Scott? Scott's not my man."

"Seb thinks he is."

Mollie's face fell. She rose to her feet and followed Seb through the doors.

She found him waiting by the curb for a taxi.

"Seb!" she called out.

He turned and looked at her. She came to a stop a foot in front of him.

"Scott is not my man. Nothing's going on. It's just a PR stunt for Thorne. The announcement is tomorrow."

Seb smiled at her weakly.

"There's only one man I'm interested in and he's stood right in front of me. I know we can't be together, but nothing will stop me loving you Seb."

He closed the gap and pulled her into his arms, holding her tight.

"Mollie, I will always love you, remember that. But I want you to be happy. And you wouldn't have been happy if you'd given it all up. You live for racing. It's part of who you are. It's just a part of the many things I love about you."

"But I don't know how I can do it without you ."

"You can my beautiful girl. You're strong and you're so talented. The world is your oyster."

He let her go and took half a step back. Then he placed his hand underneath her chin and tilted her head upwards. Then he placed a lingering kiss on her lips.

He smiled as he pulled back.

"This is not the end of our story Mollie Rashford," he said, before turning and getting into the taxi that had just pulled up to the curb.

Mollie watched as the taxi pulled off into the distance. She touched her lips that still tingled from his kiss.

She knew he had spoken the truth. There was still so much to come for them. Who knew what the future held for them. But for now, life went on. It was time to start the next chapter in Mollie Rashford's story.