20. Fall From Grace (3)

Seb was having a quiet drink after dinner with his mechanics to celebrate his victory in the Hungarian Grand Prix. He had a flight to catch first thing, so he didn't want to get too drunk, although getting shit faced sounded pretty good to him at that moment.

He was just saying his goodbyes and was about to head up to his room, when his phone rang. Who could it be at this time of night. It was nearly midnight.

He pulled it out of his pocket and saw that it was Pierre Gasly. What did he want?

"Hello Pierre," he said.

"Seb, please you have to come. No one knows what to do," the young Frenchman said, the panic evident in his voice.

"Pierre, calm down. What is wrong? Where are you?"

"Seb, it's Mollie. She's having some kind of breakdown. She thinks Elena's here. Will and Luca are with her but she lashes out every time one of them gets close to her. I know you're not together any more but I thought maybe you could get through to her."

Seb's heart sped up. Mollie.

"Where is she?"

"An alleyway near The Spectrum nightclub. It's only three streets away from the hotel. By the river."

"I know it. I'll be there as quickly as I can."

He hung up and slipped his phone back into his pocket. He dashed out across the lobby and through the main doors. He sprinted as fast as he could. He had to get to her. He had to help her. He felt like his lungs were going to explode as he rounded the last corner. He could see the nightclub in the distance.

A crowd of people had gathered around the entrance to an alleyway. As he reached them he pushed his way through.

Trying to catch his breath he went to enter the alley. He spotted Pierre, Esteban Ocon and Will stood there by the entrance.

"What the fuck's going on?" He spotted Mollie on the floor. Luca was knelt at her side, whispering reassuring words in her ear.

"She was celebrating Luca's podium with us. I don't know what happened. I was dancing most of the night but suddenly she started screaming out as if Elena was there. She was screaming "you're dead, you're dead, it should have been me". I tried to calm her down but she ran out here. We've been trying to get through to her. At first she was screaming at us to keep away but now she's just sobbing. She won't talk to anyone. We didn't know what to do Seb. Pierre thought of calling you."

Seb bit his lip. His heart was breaking for her. The breakdown everyone had been fearing had happened.  He crouched down besides her. Luca moved away.

"Mollie baby. I'm here." At first he thought she wouldn't respond but after several seconds she looked at him, tears spilling out of her beautiful green eyes. Black trails of mascara ran down her face.

"Seb," she cried, sobbing even more.  He sat besides her and took her in his arms. He held her tightly to his chest as the sobs shook her body. 

"It's ok baby.  Let it out.  I'm here. I'm not leaving you.  Seb's here baby."

"I don't want to be here any more.  It should have been me. It should have been me."

"Don't ever say that Mollie Rashford. You have so many people that love you. Your Mum, your Dad, Jude. Ash. Sophia. Cassie. Me."

" But I've treated you like shit. I pushed you away."

"Yet here I am. I can't stop loving you Mols. I will never stop loving you, no matter how much you push me away.  You are my world. But that's a matter for another day. You need help Mols. You've been bottling things up for too long."

"I'm so scared Seb. I'm so scared that I'm never going to get over this.  That no matter how hard I try, no matter what I do, I will never get over it."

"Baby, I can't promise you an easy time. You've had to hit rock bottom before you can rebuild, but what I can promise you is this.  I will be there with you, by your side, every step of the way.  If you'll let me.  Let me in Mollie. Let me help you."

"Yes Seb. Please.  I need you. Help me. Make it stop. Make her go away."

Seb jumped to his feet.

He bent down and scooped Mollie up into his arms.  She put her arms around his neck, holding on to him tightly . 

"You're coming home with me. To Switzerland. Don't worry, it's not where I lived with her. It's a new place. I'm going to look after you Mols. I'm going to get you help.  I love you so bloody much."  He pushed past the onlookers and started the walk back to his hotel. 

He carried on whispering words of support and words of love. He got about halfway back when he realised she had fallen asleep in his arms. This might get tricky when he needed to open his room door. 

As luck would have it he spotted Mikey in the lobby as he carried Mollie in. He called him over and asked for his help.

They rode up in the lift and Mikey pulled Seb's wallet out of his back pocket and took his key card out. He opened the door for him.

"Thanks Mikey. Have a good break. I'll see you at Spa."

"I hope she's ok Seb," Mikey said. Seb just smiled at him.

Mikey shut the door as he left.

Seb laid Mollie down on the bed. He brushed her hair out of her face. He undid her shoes and pulled them off. He didn't want to undress her without her permission so he pulled the covers over her. Then he took his jeans off and slipped in besides her. He took her in his arms.

She smiled in her sleep and snuggled up to him. He hoped that she'd be as agreeable to seeking help when she sobered up.

Even if she wasn't he wasn't giving up again. He'd meant every word he said. He was there every step of the way. He loved this woman. He kissed her head and held her tightly, never wanting to let her go again.

She had a tough fight ahead of her but he knew she was strong. He knew she could do it. Mollie Rashford was no quitter. She was a fighter. And she was going to win this fight.