33. Shaken

Mollie and Sophia exited the press conference in Singapore. They looked at each other, Sophia rolled her eyes.

They kept quiet until they reached the motorhome.  Then Sophia started ranting. 

"I wish they'd just bloody announce it.  Why wait until Austin?  I'm sick and tired of having to play dumb and pretend I don't know what's going on."

"Sophia, calm down. There's no point getting flustered. It's not going to change anything, is it?"

"It's alright for you. You're the golden girl. You'll get a drive easily. Formula E, if the press are to be believed."

Mollie looked away. "Well,  you can't always believe what they say."

"Seriously Mols, do I talk to Moorfield? Do I wait? Do I go back to Indy? Moorfield aren't exactly the most competitive team."

"Sophia. Just calm down. When it's announced some of the other teams may show an interest. Ferrari or Zenith maybe? Both Ferrari drivers are out of contract at the end of the season. Ana is too at Zenith."

"I'm sorry Mols. I didn't mean to sound bitchy, it's just if they have a choice, they'll choose you. They'd be mad not to."

Mollie hugged her friend. "You're amazing too Soph. Never doubt that."

Inside,  Mollie was feeling guilty. She hated keeping it from everyone. Her future was nearly secure, one way or the other. She hoped Sophia got a decent offer. She deserved it.  Formula W couldn't lose both of them.   She sighed and headed for her room.  Time for a bite to eat before the track walk. 

                                         ***

Singapore held mixed memories for Mollie.  It was where she and Seb had declared their love for each other for the first time.  It was where their relationship had gone public two years ago.  It was also where she'd had a very public confrontation with Elena and where she'd collapsed after winning the race and ended up in hospital. 

She would make sure that she was properly hydrated this year and that she ate properly.  She didn't want to repeat that experience ever again. 

She'd qualified in second behind Sophia, a lock up losing her precious hundredths.  She still felt confident though.

Before her race she watched Seb put his Aston Martin on pole for the following day's Formula 1 race.  He'd made it look easy, but he wasn't known as the King of Singapore for nothing.

She quickly texted him before having to head off to the garage.

Mollie: Well done your Majesty. X

Then she headed out and walked to the support garage with Ash.

It was time. Could she be Queen of Singapore?

***

Seb smiled as he saw the message Mollie had sent him. Cheeky! He'd have to spank her for that, but then again,  the minx would enjoy it.

He finished getting changed and went to hospitality to watch the race.

They were just on the formation lap when he arrived, sliding onto the seat next to Britta.

They lined up on the grid. The lights came on one by one. Then they all went out and the cars shot forward.

***
Mollie knew straight away that something was going to happen. She saw the bright yellow Zenith flying up the side of her like a torpedo.  The trouble is they had nowhere to go. 

She didn't know if it was Ana or Lily, but whoever it was brushed the wall and ricocheted back into her.

"Oh fuck!" she cried.  She was pushed into Amelie Giroud, who was the other side of her.  Amelie span, collecting her own teammate in the process.  Alice Krieg crashed into the wall trying to avoid the mayhem, as did Kimberley Foster.  Mollie sat in the car shaking as she came to a stop.  She was ok but her race was over.  She saw the red lights come on, signalling the suspension of the race. 

"Fuck," she repeated, quieter this time.  She tried to remove her gloves but her hands wouldn't stop shaking.   A marshall approached her. 

"Are you ok?" he asked.

She gave him the thumbs up, not trusting herself to speak.  She spotted Alice and Kimberley getting out of their cars and talking to each other.  They looked ok, thank God.  She cast her gaze around.  Emilia had got out of her car and was sat on the front of it, her head in her hands. Amelie Giroud was storming across and confronting a shaken Ana Campos. 

Dr Roberts approached the car. 

"Mollie are ok?  Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine.  I'm just shaken.  I need a minute."

He nodded and went to check on Emilia.

"Mols are you ok? " came Joel's voice in her ear.  She realised he must have been asking her already. He sounded frantic. 

"Joel sorry.  I'm fine. I'm just shaken.  I'm literally shaking like a leaf.  I'm not hurt though. Don't worry. Is everyone else ok? Emilia?"

" I'm not sure.  I don't think Ana will be once Amelie has finished with her," he replied. "What the hell was she thinking?"

"She obviously wasn't thinking at all.  Look, can you get a message to Seb? Tell him I'm ok.  He'll be worrying."

"Of course Mols.  Take it easy. See you soon."

She finally managed to take her gloves off.  Removing the steering wheel, she climbed out of the car slowly.  She felt her legs wobbling so she quickly sat down on the track, leaning back against the wall. 
Fuck. That had been scary.   She soon saw Emilia stand up and wave to the crowd.  She was ok.  That was a relief.  Kimberley and Alice had long since left to go back to their garage.  Ana and Amelie still stood arguing. 

She knew she needed to get up.  Using the wall as support she managed to get back on to her feet.  She walked slowly towards the nearest access gate and popped through into the pit lane. 

She was suddenly scooped off of her feet. 

"Thank God!! I was worried sick," Seb exclaimed.  "When I saw you wasn't getting out of the car I feared the worst."

"I'm fine Seb, just shaken. I needed time.  Did Joel tell you I was ok?"

"Yeah he was just getting off the radio from you when I ambushed him."  He released his hold on her. 

She took her HANS and helmet off, followed by her balaclava.  They started walking back up the pit lane side by side. 

"I guess I'm not gonna get to be your Queen of Singapore after all," she joked. 

"Baby, you'll always be my Queen whatever," he replied. 

"Cheesy Vettel, cheesy."

He grinned at her. "You love me though."

She laughed and nodded.

"I do."

"I love you too your Majesty."

"Hey, that's my name for you!"

They carried on walking, exchanging banter.  It hadn't worked out how Mollie had wanted but everyone was ok and she had Seb.  And that's what really mattered.