36. An Uneasy Truce

Although they'd made up, tensions were still at a high between Seb and Mollie by the time Saturday came around. Mollie knew that he was still pissed off about the photo shoot. Especially since the rest of the photos had dropped on the Friday.

She'd tried her best to reassure him that it wouldn't happen again but he still seemed really off with her. She could see his point in a way but he didn't understand what a confidence boost it had been for her. She'd spent far too many years hating her body.

Thursday had been interesting. She'd had her first formal approach from another Formula W team. Ferrari W had contacted her regarding a drive for 2024. Something else to think about.

Seb had been enthusiastic about it and urged her to talk to them and see what they were offering. What was putting her off of Ferrari was the fact that Elena had been their girl.

Everyone had been so close to her after working with her for five years. Did any of them blame her for what had happened?

The press conference had once again been full of questions about Mollie's future plans. She'd lost her temper with Daniel Hunter and refused to answer any of his questions again. The man was a fool.

Friday had been a day to forget. Car issues in FP1 had limited the amount of laps she'd been able to do and FP2 was limited because of the weather. A torrential downpour had hit just before the session had been due to start.

Now Saturday was here and Mollie arrived at the circuit knowing, that if results went their way,both championships could be won today.

Seb had marched off to his team dropping a kiss on her head, a tame, bland kiss, nothing like his usual embrace. She really had fucked up with the photo shoot. She needed to make it up to him somehow.

Walking into hospitality she saw Cassie nearly sprinting across the room to her.

"Gossip! Quick, your room. Now!"

She let her friend take her by the arm and drag her into her room. Once the door was fully closed behind them Cassie sat down on the couch.

"Ok, spill," said Mollie.

"Apparently Ferrari are binning Carlos Sainz at the end of the season."

"Can't say I'm surprised. Neither of their drivers have done much this season, but Charles is the golden boy, they won't ditch him. Where did you hear that?"

"Well I heard it from Stefania, she's Bottas's press officer at Alfa Romeo.  She heard Fred Vasseur talking to Carlos's manager about the possibility of a seat now Bottas has announced his retirement."

"So who would Ferrari get in to replace him?"

"That's the gossip!"

"What? Who?"

"The rumour, and it is only a rumour at the moment, is they're looking at Luca."

"Luca! Our Luca? No fucking way!"

"And Matthew Thorne has added fuel to the fire as he's been spotted out to dinner with Scott McDevitt, the reigning Indy Car champion."

"Silly season is really dragging out this year, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it sure is. Not just in Formula 1 though, is it?"

"Don't you start. Seb keeps on at me. I just don't know what I'm doing yet. Ferrari have approached me for FW but I'm not really sure if they're the team for me."

"What do you want Mols?"

"You know, you're the only one who's asked what I want. They all ask what am I doing. I want to be somewhere I can fight and show what I've got. I can't go back to Indy W. I'm not being big headed but that would be a walkover."

"Surely so would FW in that case. You're a head and shoulders above everyone else."

"Maybe, maybe not. Maybe in another team it would be harder, but not Ferrari."

There was a bang on the door. "Time to get ready for quali Mollie. Haha,that rhymes," laughed Ash.

"Ok Ash, be there soon."

"Mols. Formula E? Is there any truth in that?"

"Cass, it's been mentioned as just one of the options. I have to consider it, if they even offer me the drive in the first place. Please don't say anything. Matthew told me to keep it quiet. No one else knows."

"Not even Seb?"

"No. I can't face telling him. I don't know what it would mean for us. We'd hardly get to see each other. And if I don't end up going then I would have caused worry and trouble between us for nothing."

"Mols, you really shouldn't keep it a secret from him."

"Until I know for sure where I'm going to be racing next year, there's no need to say anything."

"Mols, you're playing with fire. I hope you know what you're doing."

"Trust me Cass. It will be ok. Now, I have to get ready. I'll see you later ."

***

The TBR team were euphoric. They were jumping up and down, screaming at the top of their voices. Yet another win from Mollie had put her out of reach in the drivers' championship. And a fourth place from Sophia had helped secure the constructors' title.

Seb stood on the sidelines watching the team greet Mollie as she returned. As she got out of the car and launched herself at the team Seb felt so proud of her. His heart swelled with love. She had proved herself beyond a doubt. She was the best female driver in the history of racing.

And she hadn't had it easy. The accidents, her issues. She'd fought back and now everyone could see what he'd always known. Mollie Rashford was a star.

He knew he should be happy if she got offered a Formula E drive. It would be such an opportunity for her. He knew he shouldn't try to influence her career decisions but he knew that if she went to Formula E, or Indy Car, that it would have a negative defect on their relationship. He hoped she would see that Ferrari W was the right choice. She could make history there, overtake Elena's number of titles.

It frustrated him that she wouldn't even really consider them as an option. It was as if she'd already made her mind up to leave Formula W.

She thought he'd been moody because of the photo shoot but it wasn't that. He was scared. Scared of losing her. He didn't know how he'd cope with losing her again.

She turned and saw him stood there. He opened his arms and she ran into them.

"I love you my champion," he said. "So very much."

"I love you too. , my Sebastian."

They stood in each other's embrace whilst the crowd around them cheered. The future was a worry for another day. Today was about Mollie. She was champion again. And she was his.