7. Getting the Team Back Together

It was now the middle of March and time to go testing.  The Formula 1 circus had started the journey out to Melbourne to begin their season. Formula W were in Barcelona testing.  

It still wasn't public knowledge that Mollie was returning to the team. In fact, even the team didn't know.  Only Franklin Brooke, Matthew Thorne and Tom Smollett knew.  Oh and Ash, and her parents too. They were all going to be surprised when she turned up on the Monday morning.

She couldn't wait to see the look on their faces. Especially Sophia, Joel and Cassie.  She'd arrived late Sunday night and managed to get through the lobby without seeing anyone.

Now she was on the way to the circuit with Ash, and her nerves were starting to get the better of her.

"Ash, what if anyone blames me for what happened?"

"They won't Mollie. Stop thinking that way. Everyone knows that Elena was to blame for the accident. "

Mollie sighed. She knew that but it didn't stop her panicking about how her return would be received.

Ash parked the car and they headed into hospitality. They were early, so it was empty apart from Tom. He welcomed Mollie with a hug.

"Mollie, it's so good to have you back. You look well. Everyone has missed you. It just wasn't the same last season. They're all so pumped up to have Sophia back. When they find out that you're back too they're going to be fit to burst. If you go up to your driver room and come down about ten past nine. We'll reintroduce you. Your room is at the end. Your name isn't on the door yet, for obvious reasons."

Mollie thanked him and she and Ash headed upstairs to her room. She sat down on the small sofa.

"I feel sick,"Mollie said. She knew after today everyone would know she was back. It would soon get through to Seb that she was returning. How would he react? Did he still care? Apart from that one visit to her parents after Abu Dhabi, he'd respected her wishes and stayed away from her.

It was what she'd wanted but it still hurt that he didn't care enough to even try. Did he still think she was at fault?

She shook her head. She had to stop thinking about him, about the past. She had to get her head in the here and now where it belonged.

***

"Welcome back everybody, I trust you all had a good winter break?" Tom asked everyone once they were assembled in hospitality.  "Now I'm guessing you've all heard the news about Jodie by now.  She and Dean are expecting a baby, so she won't be returning.  Now I know we've left it late to announce her replacement.  But we are finally able to do that today.  We want to introduce her to you all first before the statement gets released to the media in an hour's time."

"At last," joked Sophia.  Joel sat in silence.  He hoped that this time he'd get a driver that would actually listen to him.  Jodie had liked things her own way too much.  Now Mollie, Mollie had been a dream to work with. 

"Now, I'm sure you will all love this girl.  She's one of the best female drivers to ever turn a wheel.  Please put your hands together to welcome back to TBR, our champion, Mollie Rashford."

Everyone gasped.  They all turned towards the doorway where Tom had gestured. Mollie stood there, a big smile on her face. 

"Surprise!" she said.  The next thing she knew Joel had rushed at her and lifted her off of her feet, enveloping her in a bear hug, whilst everyone burst out in a round of applause. 

"Mollie, thank God.  You have no idea how much I've missed you. Finally a driver that trusts me. Where the fuck have you been?"

"I've missed you too Joel.  I'll tell you all about it one day but you need to put me down."  He lowered her back onto her feet.

"Mollie Rashford, you kept that quiet" said Sophia,accusingly. "Was that what you came to see Franklin for?"

Mollie grinned and nodded.  "Yes, although I didn't know it at the time. I assumed he wanted me to replace you in Indy."

"I am so happy Mollie," she said hugging her teammate tightly. 

"Oh my word, I can't believe this," said Cassie.  "The media are going to go wild.  I'm going to be up to my neck in work.  But Mols, it's so damn good to have you back where you belong."

Mollie smiled.  Everyone was happy to have her back.  That made her feel so much better about her decision.  Now she just had to face the public.  And to face Seb.

                                      ***

In Melbourne the Aston Martin team had gathered together for their evening meal.  It was later than usual as they'd been waiting for Lance's flight to arrive. 

Seb sat talking to Antti, Britta and his engineer, Chris.  It was good to finally get back to racing.  Testing had gone extremely well and he was feeling very confident that he could fight for his sixth title. 

He wished his love life was going as well as his professional life.  He wanted someone in his life.  He'd been on a few dates over winter break but he'd ended up comparing everyone to her.  To Mollie.  How long was she going to live in his head rent free?  She'd made it clear in her text that she was done with him. That she wasn't coming back.  How long was it going to take to sink in?  Would he spend the rest of his life hoping that he would see her again? That she would come back to him?

Lance had now arrived and was mucking around at the bar with Andy and Harry from his crew. He remembered being young and carefree once.  Now here he was, nearly 36 years old.   Time went by so fast.

"Oh my God!" exclaimed Mikey, his number one mechanic, who was sat across the table from him.

"What is it?" asked Jimbo, another mechanic of Seb's.

Mikey showed him whatever he'd just seen on his phone screen.  Jimbo nearly choked on his drink. 

Seb looked at them, curious about what it was that had rattled them. 

"What's up guys?"Chris asked.  Mikey and Jimbo looked at each other.  Neither of them wanted to say what it was. 

"Spill the beans," said Matty, trying to peer over Mikey's shoulder. 

"Nothing much.  Just news from the Formula W test at Barcelona.  They've finally confirmed what we all knew. Jodie Morgan's up the duff... and they announced her replacement."

Seb's curiosity got the better of him.  Who would be next to drive that yellow and blue car that he'd forever associate with Mollie?

"Who is it?" he asked.  Mikey and Jimbo looked at each other. "Come on guys, anyone we know?"

Mikey looked at him, sheepishly. "Seb. It's Mollie.  Mollie's back."