39. Time To Think

Seb and Mollie arrived in Malaysia on the Wednesday morning.They'd spent the time between races staying with Seb's family in Heppenheim.  Things seemed to be back to normal between them, much to Mollie's relief. 

She knew that she had to give Matthew her answer by the end of the weekend and she still had no idea what she was going to do.   One thing she did know was that she was going to turn the Ferrari offer down.   She just couldn't bring herself to drive for them. 

Thursday morning started with an announcement.  Sophia had signed with Zenith for the following season, replacing the departing Ana Campos.  Mollie was over the moon for her friend.  She really deserved to fight for the championship, and Zenith could be the team to help her do that. 

Sophia wasn't in Malaysia that weekend. There was no Formula W race. Mollie was there as Seb's girlfriend, to support him.  Mollie sent her a text congratulating her on the news. 

The official announcement about Luca joining Ferrari was going to be made on the Friday morning, although rumours were already flying around the paddock. 

Mollie had hung around Thorne hospitality a lot whilst Seb was busy with the press conference and seat fit.  Of course,  that had started more rumours online that she was signing for Formula E.

The media apparently knew more than she did about her career!  

Seb had to do some filming for a team sponsor in the afternoon and Mollie found herself chatting with Luca in Thorne hospitality. 

"So, my future's sorted.  What about yours?" he asked her. 

"Not the foggiest.  I'm not going to Ferrari though, unlike some."   He grinned at her, sheepishly. 

"It's always been my dream.  I feel a bit shitty ditching Thorne, but in the end I knew I'd regret it if I didn't.  Have you thought about what Matthew's offer?"

Mollie sighed. 

"Luca, between me and you I'm close to jacking it all in.  If I accept Matthew's offer I have no idea how it will impact Seb and I.  After the last couple of years I've learnt that I need him.  I don't know what I'd do if we grew apart.  And it would be awkward as fuck.  I can't kid myself that things would go on as normal. 
Ferrari isn't for me.  They were Elena's team and I can't. I just can't.  And there are no other options. No one else has approached me, besides Indy W of course,and that's a big no.  I'm not taking a step backwards. If I take early retirement I can follow Seb around the world and everything will be great."

Luca looked at her seriously. 

"But Mols, it won't.  You wouldn't be happy because you are a racer.  It's what you were born to do.  You have such a talent and it would be a crime to waste it.  You and Seb are strong.  I'm sure you can weather any storm. Don't give it up Mols.  You've fought through so much."

"I haven't decided yet.  It's just another option I have to look at."

"Have you spoken to Seb about it?"

"No. I can't. I just can't.  I don't want to cause any tensions.  We went through a bad patch after the photo shoot I did and things are great again.  I don't want to rock the boat.  Plus Matthew said to keep it quiet anyway."

"Well Mols. You've got to decide.  I know you'll make the right decision."  He stood up. "I've got to go.  Track walk. Catch you later."

Mollie watched as he headed outside.   She just didn't know what to do and time was running out. 

                                     ***

Seb was just arriving back at hospitality when he heard someone calling his name.  He turned and saw Luca approaching him. 

"Hey Luca, what's up? I hear we may be hearing a little announcement soon."  Luca grinned.

"Possibly."

"Congratulations."

"Thanks.  Listen, Seb, can I have a word?  It's about Mollie."

Seb looked at his watch. "I can spare twenty minutes."

They headed to Seb's driver room.

"Look. I hate doing this.  I feel like I'm betraying her trust.  She's thinking of packing it all in Seb."

"What? Why would she do that?  And why hasn't she said anything to me?"

"Because she's doing it for you.  For your relationship. She's worried about how accepting Matthew Thornes's offer would impact your relationship. So she's thinking of retiring and becoming a full time WAG."

"What about the Ferrari offer?"

"She's turning it down. Said she can't work with them ."

"I wish she'd tell me these things," he said, feeling disappointed and a little angry. 

"She doesn't want to cause any tension.  Look Seb, you have to stop her from throwing it all away.  She'll listen you.  You can't let her do it Seb.  She's too talented to quit now."

"She'd be silly to," Seb agreed. 

"I've got to go but I thought you should know."

"Thanks Luca. I appreciate it."

After Luca had left, Seb sat thinking.  How could he stop her making a big mistake? 

He thought and thought,  and in the end he knew there was only one way. 

It was the last thing he wanted to do but it might be the only way. 

He headed off to meet her with a heavy heart.  He felt sad that she hadn't trusted him to discuss everything with him. 

They arrived back at the hotel and Seb laid down.  How should he approach this?

Mollie seemed in a quiet mood herself.  She picked up a book she'd brought and began flicking through the pages. 

"Mols, we need to talk," he said. 

She looked at him, smiling.  "What about babe?"

"Us. You.  Next season."  The smile disappeared off of her face.  "I've been speaking to Luca."

An angry look appeared on her face.  "Luca had no right speaking about me behind my back.  I expect he told you everything?"

"He said you're planning on quitting."

"Thinking about it.  I've not decided yet."

"Don't be dumb Mollie. You have so much more to give.  You're still young! Don't give it up for me.  I'm not worth it ."

Mollie looked at Seb, waiting for his next words.  She had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. 

Seb looked at Mollie.  He knew what he had to say.  He'd rehearsed it so many times in his head but now the time had come, he was struck dumb.  Instead he leant and kissed her softly.  

"Mols, just think it through properly.  Formula E is a big opportunity.  I can't stop you from it.  I want you to succeed."

"But I'm not..."

"Mols.  I'm sorry.  I love you. I do."

"I love you too."

Seb took a breath.  And what he said next shook Mollie to the core...