24. Back to It

Ash was waiting at the airport in Belgium for Mollie the next day. They were staying in a different hotel to Seb and his team. Even though they were official again, they weren't rushing into things. She would miss Seb but it was important to rebuild her relationship with the team, and staying in the same hotel as them was an important part of that.

Seb had been concerned about being away from her but she'd reassured him that she'd be ok. Ash would keep her on the straight and narrow. She'd already asked him to clear the mini bar out as soon as they checked in so the temptation wasn't there.

They'd also decided not to hide their rekindled relationship. If the press asked they would tell them. Mollie was petrified of what else the press would ask.

She felt nervous as she approached Ash. She knew she'd been a nightmare when all he'd done was try to help her. She looked at him, apologetically . He held his arms open.

"Come here you," he said. She ran into his arms. He hugged her tight.

"I'm so sorry Ash. I was a nightmare. I wouldn't blame you if you quit."

"I was close Mols, I was close. But I know you weren't yourself. I'm so happy you've got the help you need. Now we just have to get your fitness back."

"Well I've been working on that. I kept up with an exercise routine and I've been training with Seb and Antti for the last week. And they didn't go easy on me."

"Hey, I'm impressed. How are you feeling now?" They headed towards the car. Mollie could see Seb and Antti heading out several yards ahead of them. They'd agreed to leave the airport separately. Not because they were hiding, but just to get out of there quickly without causing a media avalanche.

"I'm getting there Ash. I really should have got help a long time ago. I guess I had to hit rock bottom."

"The only way is up girl." He opened the boot for her to put her case in.

After they had started out on the drive to the hotel Ash asked her a question.

"Tell me off if I'm being too nosey, but you and Seb? Good friends? Friends with benefits?"

"Neither. Try boyfriend and girlfriend."

"Really? That's fantastic! Oh Mols, I'm so happy for you both."

"Thanks Ash. I'm so lucky that people think I'm worth a second chance."

"So am I sworn to secrecy?"

"Well, don't say anything but we're not hiding it as such. Let everyone find out in their own way."

"Oh by the way, Cassie is waiting to ambush you. Think she wants to talk about tomorrow's press conference."

"Yeah I had a feeling she'd want to."

"How are you gonna play it?"

"Honestly? Not a fucking clue. I don't even know what they've said. I gave Seb my phone to lock away the whole time I was at his. I have it back but haven't even looked online yet."

"You created a complete shitstorm girl. The majority of the media are behind you though. Just watch out for Daniel Hunter from Race Week. He thinks you've had it, that you'll be ditched before the end of the season."

"He's always been a twat. I can handle him."

"Also everyone is going crazy since they saw the photo of you and Seb at that cafe. His fan base are desperate for you to get back together. They adore Mobastian."

"Mobastian, really?"

"Yep," Ash laughed.

"How was your summer anyway?"

"It was great. I went to Ibiza with Sophia." Mollie raised her eyebrows.

"Are you two a thing again?" She knew the pair had liked each other before but it hadn't worked out. They'd split after Sophia returned to Indy W.

"Yes and no. Let's just say it's a friends with benefits situation at the moment, with the potential for more."

They continued talking about Ash's summer until they arrived at the team hotel. Ash dropped Mollie and her luggage outside.  She headed inside as he went to park the car. 

She checked in and collected her key card. 

"Mollie!" she heard someone call.  She turned around and saw Paola Totti crossing the lobby towards her.  "How are you? I hope you're feeling better.  I've seen so much speculation online.  I know not to believe anything unless I hear it from you."

"I'm good thanks Paola. It's no secret I've been struggling but I'm in a much better place now.  Thank you for asking."

"I'm pleased.  Kimberley and I have been quite worried.  I shall tell her when I see her that we spoke."   The Italian driver headed off to join her team for dinner. Mollie headed up to her room. 

She decided to get a head start on the mini bar. She took everything out and put it inside the waste paper bin ready to hand to Ash as soon as possible. 

He knocked on the door a couple of minutes later,  after receiving her text with her room number.  She handed him the bin.  "Have a present."

"Thanks Mols." 

"Where's Cassie then?  Do you know her room number?"

"Yeah, she's next door to me, so 303."

"I'll head down now."

She picked her phone up off of the bed and headed out. 

Ash went into his room when they reached the third floor.  She knocked on Cassie's door.  Her friend soon opened it. 

"Mollie, gosh you look so much better already!  Come on in."

She followed Cassie into her room and they spent the next hour going through how they would deal with the media.  Cassie had started squealing with excitement when Mollie told her that she was back together with Seb. 

In the end they decided that they would release a statement regarding Mollie's breakdown and recovery.  Then if anyone mentioned it in the press conference Mollie would just say no comment.  As for the Seb situation, if she was asked she'd confirm it.  Other than that she'd remind the journalists that they were there to talk about the upcoming race not about her love life. 

After they had finalised plans they headed down to the dining room for a late dinner.  They joined Sophia and Ash who were already there. 

Mollie could feel people staring at her.  She supposed she couldn't blame them.  Her meltdown had been pretty spectacular and very public. Still, they'd stare for a different reason if she could get back to winning ways.  She had a lot to prove, and she was determined to do it.  She wanted this title.  As much as she loved Sophia, if she wanted to win then she was going to have to fight her.  It wouldn't be easy but anything worth having was worth the fight. 

After dinner Mollie headed up to her room for an early night. She wanted to have her wits about her the following day.  The eyes of the motorsport world would be on her and everyone would be judging her.  It was down to her to prove that she was up to the job.  To prove that Mollie Rashford was still the one to beat.