chapter twenty-two

"okay dollface, now that you're mine, i expect us to trust each other

"okay dollface, now that you're mine, i expect us to trust each other. and i do realize that you're friends with pogues, and so i'm not asking you to choose between me and them, but right now, that's a little bit of what i'm asking." rafe explained to flora quickly.

"okay, but what are we doing?" flora questioned, incredibly confused with what rafe was getting at.

"follow me, and be quiet." he said, giving flora his hand. "dad!" he yelled before opening the door for the brunette and allowing her to go in.

"are we supposed to be here?" flora asked rafe, walking around the room that she has never been to. she assumed it was ward's office.

"no we are not," rafe said while opening a drawer.

"and what if we get caught, its not because you're the kook king that there won't be consequences when it comes to your dad" flora muttered, trying to reason with him.

"it's all about trust dollface, now memorize these numbers for me," he stated, "four, three, three, zero, zero," rafe said clearly.

"got it," flora said, walking closer to rafe. 

"go next to the painting flora and type in the code," rafe asked, almost ordering her.

it was weird but nice seeing rafe so confident and in power over something, instead of fighting back about his tone, she did what he had asked quickly.

"shit rafe, it's really loud," flora said, walking back next to rafe instead ward or rose came in. "go look rafe, the safe opened."

"okay, okay," rafe muttered, grabbing an expensive-looking watch from the safe and closing the door quickly.

"hello mr.cameron," flora muttered, looking at her feet. her words startled rafe, making him jump all of a sudden.

"you two checking the time?" ward questioned, except it was more of an accusation towards rafe. flora felt chills go up and down her body, she never had the best feeling about mr.cameron, especially on how he treated rafe.

ward's words quickly silenced rafe, who did not know where to put himself.

"rafe, come with me please,flora, i know you won't have any issues finding where sarah is," ward said with a fake smile.

flora realized she was now rafe's girlfriend, and ward was capable of hurting him in the worst ways imaginable, she would do anything to protect rafe, and this was her time to prove it to him.

"i'm following rafe, wherever he goes, i'm going too," she said with confidence.

"okay then," ward muttered obviously annoyed, still trying to keep his fake smile on his face.

––––

"i swear i learned my lesson, okay?" rafe said, trying to convince his dad. 

flora had quickly realized where ward had taken them, it was barry's van, and they were probably here to pay him back, or tell him to go screw himself. 

ward pulled money out of his pocket, and before rafe or flora could open the door to leave the car, ward firmly told them to stay inside.

"why did you have to come flora?" rafe asked, rubbing his temple.

"i'm your girlfriend now, and no offense, i do not trust your dad," flora said matter of factly, trying to show rafe that she was not terrified at the moment.

"i can't protect you when he's around flora, it's better when we're alone, without him," rafe said, trying to explain that he did not trust ward as well.

"what was that?" flora asked, looking out the window quickly, she was able to see a fire, but it was too dark to see where the yell she heard specifically came from.

"stay here," rafe said, leaving the car, and not turning back.

"in your dream" flora muttered to herself, following him, making sure she was three steps behind so he wouldn't scold her for not listening to him.

"i told you guys to stay in the goddamn car," ward said with an angry tone.

"we?" rafe questioned, turning around and looking at flora.

"get your bike rafe," ward said simply, walking back towards the car, acting like he didn't just beat up barry.

"I'll pay you back," rafe muttered, extending his hand so flora could take it.

"no rafe, you won't" ward said simply. flora felt rafe's body tense up, then stop all of a sudden. that was the worst thing rafe's father could have ever said to him. she looked up at the boy she loved, and finally understood why he was so fucked up. 

"you know why you won't" ward continued, walking towards the two, slowly becoming more angry. "because you're a liar, and flora, only god knows what you're doing with a boy like this,"

his words made rafe let go of flora's hand, and she could see that he was holding back tears of anger and hurt, she tried to put her hand back into his, but without success. he had become the rafe she hated all over again, except this time, she wasn't going to give up on him that easily. 

"he's a thief, and he just can't be trusted, you're way too good for him," he continued.

"stop your lies ward," flora said angrily. "what you're saying is simply not true, rafe has cared for me since i can remember he would do anything for his family, why can't you see that," she said, trying to hold back tears.

"you filled this poor girl with lies rafe, and i can't have you doing the same to your sisters, i can't have you in my house son," ward said with no remorse or sadness, as if he had wanted to say those words for a very long time.

"where do you want me to go?" rafe asked, confusion all over his face.

"it's okay rafe, if you're not going back there, i'm not," flora said, determination and anger written all over her face.