chapter six

"guys, look who's coming," flora said, pointing at the police boat coming their way

"yep that's the police," jj said, trying to act calm. flora swore under breathe, if the police officer told ward who she was hanging out with, she would be sent back directly to new york. she tried her best to act calm, biting the inside of her mouth as a relief system.

"just act freaking normal," kiara muttered under her breathe, glancing toward flora who lost all the color to her face.

"hey, you okay?" jj asked, wrapping an arm around the girl. flora wasn't alright, but she wasn't the type to act weak. she gave jj a quick smile, as if nothing was wrong.

"evening officers," pope said politely, trying his best to not act suspicious.

"evening," the officer said, eyeing the boat. flora hoped the officers wouldn't recognize her, people changed significantly in two years, there was no way.

"how you kids doing? you know the marsh is closed," the officer stated, still not seeing flora who tried to hide behind jj.

"i didn't know, why is it closed?" jj asked, pacing around and revealing flora.

"we're conducting a search out here," he said simply. flora was sure he hadn't seen her, but she was optimistic way too quickly. "ms.daniels, shouldn't you on the other side of the island?" the officer asked the girl.

"yes sir, i was just hanging out with my friends," she said, trying to hide her nervousness.

"so you don't mind if we drop you off at ward cameron's right now?" he questioned, trying to provoke her. 

"not at all," flora said with a small smile, " i wanted to go home soon anyway,"

"perfect timing then," the officer, maintaining eye contact with flora, escorting her to their boat.

_______________    

"she was where?" rafe asked the officer for the third time, his jaw clenching more and more every time the officer told him flora was at the marsh with the pogues.

"is your dad home son, i need to talk to him about her frequentations," the officer said seriously.

"he's not," rafe said annoyed, pulling me inside, closing the door behind him.

"you just closed the door at an officer!" flora said in disbelief.

"you just came back from hanging out with pogues," rafe said, imitating her. rafe turned away from her, opening the door, about the exit again.

"you can't do that," flora said, already missing his presence.

"i can do whatever i want," rafe said, looking the girl into the eyes.

"no," flora muttered. "you can't just leave whenever you want, whenever i make you angry. maybe i hang out with the pogues because i'm lonely, because since i've gotten here, you haven't spent more than 30 minutes with me, excluding yesterday night," flora said, knowing the boy wouldn't miss an opportunity to correct her.

"come here," rafe said, pulling the girl into a warm embrace. "i'm sorry, let's go, wherever you want," he whispered to her.

"just you and i?" she asked, looking up at the boy. 

"just you and i," he answered, bringing her hand up to his lips and kissing it quickly. 

_______________    

"that never happened," flora said, laughing at the memory of her and rafe's first kiss. flora had decided that she wanted to spend the afternoon hidden in the bedroom that was located in wards boat, she was sure no one would find them there, and they would have all the privacy in the world.

"it sure did," rafe said, tackling the girl under him, tickling her stomach lightly. the boy had stopped, but still maintained eye contact with those brown eyes he loved so much. Flora brought her hand behind his neck, begging for rafe to break the space between them. he kissed the girl softly, as if they had all the time in the world.

"i missed you," flora whispered, caressing his cheek slowly, mesmerized by his existence.

"why did you go to him first?" rafe asked, pulling the girl on top of him.

"i was scared to see you, i thought you still hated me." flora said, trying not to make eye contact with rafe. "i went to this random beach party and honestly, slept with the first guy i saw," she said, still not bringing her eyes to his.

rafe placed a hand under her chin, forcing her eyes to meet his. "i was mad, i was mad because the love of my life left me, i never hated you," he whispered. "i could never hate you," he said to himself.

"i don't want people to think i'm your bitch, or desperate for you," flora said seriously, only to be gifted with a laughing rafe.

"and who the hell said that?" he asked the girl, subconsciously scared of her answer.

"people, just people," flora whispered, running a hand through rafe's hair. "you didn't, you know, say those things when i left?" she asked.

"i'd rather shoot someone than disrepect you, dollface," rafe said seriously, looking deep into flora's eyes. "i can't have you hanging out with them, i just can't" rafe muttered, referring to the pogues.

"i can't promise you that i'll stop," flora said, laying down on his chest, " you have topper and kelce, i just have sarah threatening me half the time and you," flora said, looking into rafe's eyes.

"i'm just scared you fall in love with him," rafe whispered, kissing flora's neck softly.

"how can i be in love with someone who was just a distraction to keep my mind off of you?" flora asked, pulling rafe's lips onto hers once more.