chapter fourteen

"holy shit!" flora yelled, looking at all the boys fighting

"holy shit!" flora yelled, looking at all the boys fighting. "what the hell is wrong with them," she told kie angrily, walking towards the chaos.

"you take anyone who's hurting jj, i'll take anyone who's hurting pope," kie said quickly, walking towards pope.

"rafe get off of him!" flora yelled, jumping onto rafe's back, hitting him numerously. 

"dollface, i swear you better get out of here, you're going to end up hurt," rafe said, concern laced in his voice for the girl. to him, their argument from earlier was just a petty fight, she would always come back like he would always come back.

"i'm not your dollface anymore!" flora yelled, hitting rafe on the back even harder.

"this is getting personal," kelce said, holding flora by the waist, trying to remove flora from rafe's back.

"block him, hold him still man, i'll take care of her," rafe muttered, throwing jj into kelce.

"no! stop hurting him!" flora yelled again, hitting rafe's back some more.

"are you done?" rafe sighed, putting the girl down on the floor. "you shouldn't be here, you should be home," he lectured the girl.

"what are you, my dad?" flora said, ready to get back into the fight.

"no, but," rafe said with a smirk pulling flora by the waist. "just, i'm ready to not fight and sit still with you here if it means stopping you from going in there," he explained, rather calmly.

flora eyed jj's bag which contained the gun, a small smirk appeared on her face, she was going to save them. "you know what rafe, it's fine, go fight, i couldn't care less if you get hurt or not," she said with a shrug. 

"okay?" rafe questioned with a puzzled voice, kissing the girl quickly on the cheek by instinct before getting back into the fight.

"what the hell are you doing," kie asked, crawling next to flora who had jj's gun in her hand.

"saving us from this mess," flora said calmly, not even sure if she was holding the gun correctly. 

"you're not even holding that correctly," kie said rolling her eyes, snooping through jj's bag. "plus, we can't stoop to their level, and you're the first one who would know that flora," kie said with a smile, continuing to rummage through the bag.

"you're right, you're so right," flora said, mostly to herself. 

"i got this," kie said, holding a lighter tightly in her hand. the curly-headed girl walked up towards the projector, lighting it on fire.

"the ships on fire," flora heard someone say. the girl stood still, reminiscing on her past, looking at the flame getting bigger and bigger onto the screen. an image on her dad, stuck into the boat filled with flames resurfaced into her mind. the day everything changed.

"dollface, you're okay, it's okay," rafe said, trying to pull the girl into his arms, knowing the girl enough to know she was in complete shock.

"no," flora said, walking away from the boy, helping jj and pope get up alongside kie.

––––

"what happened out there?" jj asked the girl, hoping he wasn't passing any boundaries. flora sat on john b's sofa, tracing the outline of the thread. she looked up at jj, trying to hold in the tears she had not let out in so long.

"i didn't think you noticed," she said calmly, trying to make herself feel better. the last time she had felt this way, rafe was there until she felt better, times had really changed.

"not often you see rafe caring," jj said with a shrug, making flora laugh.

"before i moved to new york, my dad went out to sea, it wasn't in the outerbanks, just some small port nearby, something, something had happened with his boat. i'm not sure what, and it caught on fire, he was inside. i watched the boat catch on fire." flora said, looking at jj.

"the projector, it brought out the memory," jj said mostly to himself, sitting down next to the girl.

"it's just, i don't want to be what i am right now. i don't want to depend on anyone for happiness, and i don't want to let past events ruin me, i'm tired of it," flora said, collapsing into jj's arms. "i want to be strong," she whispered.

"you don't have to want to be something you already are," jj said, kissing the girl on the forehead.