chapter eighteen

"jj!" flora yelled, making the blond boy turn around

"jj!" flora yelled, making the blond boy turn around. flora observed the new bruises and cuts on his face, she knew his dad was to blame for it. "your face," she whispered, caressing his cheek lightly.

"i'm fine flora, really," jj said with a reassuring smile. "you should go back to rafe, i saw you guys over there, looked like you were having fun," he mumbled, scratching the back of his head.

"that, that was just acting, we have so many people rooting for our relationship here," flora partially lied, trying to ignore the pounding in her heart.

"you know flora, it's fine if you still have your thing with rafe, we hate him, but we won't hate you for being with him," he said shrugging his shoulders. "we both know that you and rafe are not the same,"

"but," flora started, being quickly interrupted by jj.

"no buts, look at john b and sarah, i don't hate sarah for being rafe's sister," jj said with a small smile, only earning a confused look from flora.

"john b and sarah? jj, what are you talking about?" flora questioned. "last time i remembered, they hated each other," flora said with a gasp.

"shit, you don't know, since you and sarah are friends and you hang with me, i thought she told you. her and john b are totally getting it on," jj said with a smirk.

"no fucking way!" flora said in disbelief. "i haven't seen her the past two days, what the hell," flora said still in shock.

"yeah well, flora, if you excuse me, i have to find sarah to hand her a letter from her new boyfriend," jj said, walking away from flora, giving her a quick wink when he reached sarah.

"guys, jj's going to serve us some hors d'oeuvres," flora heard rafe say from a distance. the brunette quickly walked towards the scene, not wanting their childish drama to ruin the party.

"rafe, what are you doing?" flora said with a fake smile, putting her arm around rafe. "you better fucking stop," she quickly whispered in his ear, knowing that people were staring.

"well, i'll be right back," jj said, seizing the fact that flora came to his rescue as an opportunity to escape. 

"kelce is actually going to follow you," rafe said with a fake smile, watching jj run away with kelce at his back.

"you, rafe cameron, are unbelievable," flora mumbled, looking up at the boy who was still holding her.

"i get that a lot," rafe said with a shrug, a small smirk on his face. "you still owe me a dance," rafe whispered, not giving up on the girl.

"that can wait," flora mumbled. "take me to wherever jj is before him and kelce do some serious damage," she persisted.

"why are you always trying to protect him!" rafe said angrily, walking away from the girl. flora knew rafe was angry at jj, therefore, he was going to try beating him up. the girl followed rafe to the boy's locker room, earning a glare from the security.

"sir, there's a fight inside, if i were you, i'd follow me to try stopping the damage," flora explained in her girliest voice.

"of course ma'am," the security guard said, following flora inside.

"kelce! let go of jj!" flora yelled, walking up to the pair.

"very rafe of him, five on one, don't you think flora?" jj said, almost out of breath because of kelce's grip.

"nice to join us, dollface, but once again this is none of your business," rafe said with a sarcastic smile.

"of course it's my business," flora said back, imitating his smile. "why are you just standing there? do something!" she yelled at the security, who just watched the scene.

"gentlemen," the security finally interrupted, making kelce let go of jj. "this young lady informed me that there is some sort of problem here," he stated, walking towards the group.

"no there's no issue, actually yes, there is. we got a criminal trespass in progress here, disrespect of private property, i'm in violation of all kinds of shit here sir, so escort me out of here," jj said, putting his hands toward security. "you powerpuff girls have fun, princess, see you later," jj yelled at flora.

"see you in ten," flora said, waving at the boy, a crooked grin on her face. 

"tell kiara she looks pretty hot for a pogue!" rafe yelled at jj while making direct eye contact at flora. jj turned around quickly, jumping on rafe, however, the security was fast enough to pull him away before he could hit the boy.

"sad that you got such a gem at your side, but still act like an asshole!" jj yelled, walking away in security's arm.

"and you did this for what?" flora asked, turning towards rafe. "all of you leave!" she yelled at rafe's friend, making them exit the room in a rush.

"because he makes me angry, he's rude and disrespectful," rafe rambled, not making any sense.

"you know what he just told me before you acted like your fucking immature self," flora yelled, getting closer to rafe's face. "he told me that the pogues, they didn't care if we were together, if i liked you or not, that ultimately, he just wanted me happy," flora said quietly. "why don't you want me to be happy?" she asked rafe.

"they don't make you happy," rafe said, anger laced in his voice.

"can we just stop fighting rafe," flora said, messaging her temples. "i never wanted, and i don't want our relationship, friendship, whatever we have to be toxic," she said, breathing heavily. "we both need time and space, we'll talk in a few days, about everything, no more walking away," she said, trying to maintain her calm.

"what if it's too late for me?" rafe asked, walking away from the brunette for the second time that night.