chapter five

"you brought empty tanks?" kiara asked john b in disbelief

"you brought empty tanks?" kiara asked john b in disbelief. "and what is she doing here," she asked, giving flora a disgraceful look.

"she's here because i invited her," john b said, trying to make the tension on this boat a little bit more peaceful. he saw how happy flora made jj, and at the end of the day, he wanted the best for his friends.

"that one's a quarter full," flora said, pointing at the tank kiara was holding. she hoped kiara wouldn't hate her for long. sarah and kiara had gotten in a fight while flora was in new york, so technically, nothing bad had happened between kiara and her. "enough for one of us," flora added quickly.

"thank you mrs.know it all," kiara replied coldly. flora tried to ignore her comment, she was here for a good time, away from all the kook bullshit.

"why do you despise me all of a sudden?" she asked the curly-headed girl, waiting for a concrete answer.

"all i remember you being is rafe's bitch, feel weird to see things change, now you settled for a pogue," she said, giving flora a bitchy smile.

"you say that as if it's a bad thing," jj argued, pretending to be hurt.

"honestly, kiara, i couldn't give two shits what you think of me, now what i want to know, is what the hell you all are doing," flora said, side-eyeing kiara.

"that is confidential babe, sorry," jj said, wrapping his arm flora.

"love it when a plan comes together," pope muttered. "i'm pope, by the way," pope said, waving at the brunette.

"i know who you are," flora said, giggling at the boy.

"anyways, does anyone know how to dive?" kiara said, trying to switch the topic. everyone looked at each other, it was obvious that no one would be able to dive. flora remembered when her and rafe were 13, he begged her to go diving with him but she declined the offer, saying tanning was more important. the memory made the girl giggle slightly.

"it's kind of a kook sport," jj said, giving a light squeeze to flora's shoulder. flora looked up at him shrugging her shoulders.

"never learned," she muttered.

"i... read about it," pope said, even if he seemed very unsure of himself.

"great, pope read about it so now we're all going to die," kiara muttered, obviously not believing in her friend.

"look you put the tube in your mouth and breathe, how hard could that be?" jj asked.

"if you come up too fast, nitrogen can get into your blood," flora muttered.

"yeah, and you get the bend," pope added to her comment.

"bends, like bend over," jj said, trying to make them laugh but failing miserably.

"the bends that kill you," flora said coldly.

"i can dive," john b said, getting up. he was their only choice. flora wondered why they had to dive for, and why it was so important. she decided she would make it her mission to find out.

"you can dive, i'm cool with that," jj said, shrugging his shoulders.

"since when can you dive?" kiara asked john b. flora could tell that kiara had a thing for john b, she wouldn't be this worried if she didn't-

"i'll do it, it's fine," john b said, unbothered.

"let me do some calculations real quick," pope said. flora observed the four friends around the map, concentrated looks on their faces, she wanted to belong here, but she didn't. she had no idea what there were doing, and what they were calculating for. she wondered what rafe was doing, who he was with at the moment. A loud splash interrupted her thoughts.

"what was that?" she asked the boys who were still talking behind her. they all shrugged their shoulders, admiration for kiara in all of their eyes.

"i don't know, but i liked it," jj said, an astonished look in his eyes when he realized he had said those words out loud. flora turned her back towards him, rafe would've never said anything like that about another girl in front of her.

"john b, when you get down there make sure you look for the cargo hole," jj quickly said, trying to switch topics.

"i tied my t-shirt about ten feet down, right where you should do your safety stop," kiara explained to john b.

"remember to breathe as little as possible," flora said to john b, patting the boy on the back.

"yeah, think zen," jj said, mimicking yoga movements. flora stared at jj, who grimaced when kiara kissed john b on the cheek as a good luck charm. it seemed like the two of them were in love, unfortunately, it wasn't with each other.