chapter seventeen

"you look sick," sarah said, looking up from her cellphone

"you look sick," sarah said, looking up from her cellphone. "i missed you, you know," she said with a twisted grin.

"i feel sick, i was hanging out with jj and pope, you know the guys from the beach that one night," flora said, hoping sarah would remember the pogues.

"what? really?" sarah said astonished, well i- before the girl continued, a distressed wheezie came running into the room.

"you guys aren't dressed!" she yelled, disbelief all over her face.

"no, and i'm not going," sarah said, looking down at her phone.

"i forgot," flora said, scratching her neck nervously. 

"it's midsummers, sarah, you've been talking about midsummers since last year, and you flora, isn't rafe supposed to be your date? how could you not remember!" wheezie rambled.

"rafe is not my date," flora said defensively, earning a raised eyebrow from sarah.

"since when?" sarah said, waiting for flora to answer.

"i'll update you later s," flora said, running a hand through her dirty hair.

"sarah and flora said they aren't going," wheezie ranted to rose who had just walked in the room.

"the hell they aren't," rose said, turning towards the girls.

"in my defense, i just forgot," flora said, putting her arms up.

"sarah, your father is being coronated as guardian of knights of the rhododendron," rose said, walking away from them.

"am i supposed to know what that means?" flora said, turning to sarah.

"you're not my mother, i don't have to do what you tell me," sarah said, shrugging her eyebrows and mouthing a no to flora. 

"whatever," rose said, finally exiting the room. "your daughter and flora are saying they aren't going," she informed ward.

"girls, what's going on?" ward asked the pair after kicking wheezie out of the kitchen. 

"just don't feel like topper is in my splinter bean," sarah said, looking down at her nails.

"so this is about topper," flora said with a smirk.

"i don't know exactly what that means, but it sounds to me like you should probably dump his ass," ward said with a smile.

"amen ward," flora said, sticking her hand out, awarded with a high five from ward.

"probably," sarah said, laying her head on flora's shoulder.

"maybe just not tonight though," ward said, trying to not ruin midsummers.

"i just don't want to go with him," sarah persisted.

"you know what, we're going together sarah," flora said, pulling the girl's hand in hers, giving her best smile to ward.

"that would be a great idea, flo, really," ward said, calling the girl by the nickname her father called her. "but your date is rafe, remember," he said, a small smile on his face.

"since when?" flora said, about to disagree and storm away.

"since you were 5 and he was 7, you've been going together, the last two years were unfortunate exceptions, but we can't break traditions," ward explained to the girl. "now, you two girls will just paste on a smile, and have a good time, okay?" he said, obviously not taking no for an answer.

––––

"hey sarah, i waited for you," topper said, interrupting the girls. flora took it as he cue to leave. she grabbed a drink from the bar, sighing at all the unfamiliar faces. she looked down at the filled cup and thought of jj, jj that she had left behind, she wondered how his dad reacted, what had happened to him...

"dollface," rafe said, eyeing flora's blue dress from up to down, mesmerized by her beauty.

"asshole," flora said, about to walk away when she realized how many people were looking at the couple, how many people admired them. she thought about ward and how he kept looking after her mother and her, how the camerons had been there for her. she wouldn't embarrass them tonight.

"you look beautiful, i always liked you in blue," rafe said with a smile, remembering how much flora loved the color.

"well, it is my favorite color," flora said with a small smile, looking up at rafe's blue eyes.

"you sure it still is? i mean i heard from somewhere that you hated me, and you and i both know blue is your favorite color because of my eyes," rafe teased the color, looking at her cheeks get pink.

"oh shut up cameron, don't use my thirteen-year-old words against me," flora whispered with a smile.

"you know that all these people are watching us, don't you think that's kind of creepy?" rafe whispered, turning his head to the group of old ladies gossiping about them.

"now you figured why i'm so nice to you," flora said, sticking her tongue out at the boy.

"well, you're being nice to me because you missed me," rafe said, pinching flora's cheek lightly.

"let go," she said with a laugh. "i did not, i didn't even think about you once," she stated, knowing that she was lying, knowing that the fact that he was becoming the opposite of the rafe that she knew was killing her inside.

"we're going dancing," rafe said, grabbing flora by the waist.

"wait," flora said quickly, removing his hand from her waist. "jj," she said to herself, running away from rafe towards the blond.