chapter twelve

"woah there," flora said, startled by the gunshot

"calm down princess," jj said with a smile, making sure his aim on the teddy bear was perfect. flora couldn't face rafe, therefore, she spent the night at jj's. nothing romantic had happened between the two. they just talked about life, she learned that jj had a seriously fucked up dad, and he learned that she had a seriously fucked up mom. 

"i am calm," flora said, a small grin on her face. "can i try?" she asked with a smile. before jj could answer her, a shaken up pope appeared in front of them.

"jj, flora," he said quickly.

"who was that?" jj asked, pretending not to hear pope. he shot at his teddy bear once more, focus on his face.

"no idea," flora said, laying her head on jj's shoulder. 

"jj, flora!" pope called again, agitation in his voice. "they know!" he said, referring to rafe and topper.

"that's impossible," flora said quickly, however, she knew she was lying. rafe knew everything that went on in the island.

"what?" jj asked while removing his headphones, clearing not expecting the news. 

"they know!" pope repeated, almost yelling.

"all right, chill bro, they don't know shit," jj said, walking towards pope. 

"topper knows i sunk his boat," pope said in a hurry, pacing around jj and flora.

"topper isn't smart enough to come up with that conclusion, plus how do you know that they know?" flora questioned, sure of herself.

"rafe and topper posted outside of heyward's and mad dogged me," pope said, fear and exasperation in his face.

"i'll take care of it," flora said, shrugging her shoulders. she would make it her mission to protect her new friends.

"pope, calm down and get a grip man. princess, you're not taking care of anything. we don't know what rafe is capable of," jj said in a serious tone.

"he wouldn't hurt me," flora said, however, her tone of voice said otherwise.

"look at what he did to pope," jj said, trying to make the brunette feel better. he knew rafe a lot to her, however, he was aggressive, and angry. 

"they have cameras, they could've seen me," pope said, still pacing around.

"there was no power, how could they have seen you?" jj asked, sure that they had no concrete proof that they knew what pope had done.

"it's figure eight, they got generators," flora said in a whisper.

"great, just great!" pope said, kicking a rock. "they don't give scholarships to kids that vengefully sink boats!" pope yelled at loud.

"enough with the regret bro!" jj yelled back, sick of pope's pacing around. "they caved your face in, they hit us, we hit them, it's the law of the jungle," he said angrily.

"listen pope, if any kooks come up to you, and ask if you had anything to do with it, you deny," flora said, hoping pope would follow her advice.

"that's right, deny, deny, deny," jj repeated, placing a firm hand on pope's shoulder. "for safety, we don't go anywhere without protection," jj said, pointing at his gun. 

––––

"i'm so glad we're still doing this, even if she's here," kiara said, eyeing flora up and down.

"whatever i did to you, i am truly sorry kiara," flora said, trying to sound as sincere as possible, hoping the girl would let go of whatever grudge she had against her.

"you can call me kie," the curly-headed curl said, turning around, giving a small smile to flora.

"progress," jj mouthed, which made but kie and flora laugh.

"aren't you guys glad i made you come?" kie asked the boys, a smirk on her face knowing they both couldn't care less.

"my couch was pretty comfortable, i'll be honest," jj said, sitting down next to flora, putting his arm around her shoulders.

"we're out of the green zone guys," pope whispered to flora and jj. 

"calm down pope, rafe and topper don't come out here until sunset," flora said, trying her best to make pope feel better. "anyways, i'm going to go get drinks," flora said, standing up quickly.

"get me a pepsi with you please," kie said, smiling at the brunette.

"of course," flora said, walking away from the three pogues. 

"enjoying time with your new friends dollface? your bed was empty yesterday, i'm sure ward would be very angry if he knew," rafe said, paying the man at the register.

"i can afford to buy myself pepsi's, thank you very much," flora said rolling her eyes, trying to ignore rafe's presence.

"i missed you," rafe whispered, pulling the girl behind a tree, trying to close the distance between them.

"i can't rafe, not anymore," flora said, pulling away from his grip.

"why?" rafe said, a mix of hurt and anger in his face.

"last time, when you jumped pope, you weren't you, you were scary, i can't be with someone that scares me rafe, i can't," flora said, trying not cry.

"i would never hurt you like that dollface, you know that," he whispered, trying to feel flora's body against him again.

"it doesn't matter rafe, you changed, and i don't know if i'll get the old you back, i can't,  i give up," she said, walking away from him.

"you know what, tell your boy we know what he did," rafe yelled, trying not to run after the only person keeping him alive.

"fuck you," flora yelled, walking away from the boy for good.