The Class Evaluation

As much as I would like to intern under the navy, my lack of swimming skills held me back. That's right. I am a non-swimmer. And so, doing a search beast exploration under the Navy might not be the best Idea. So taking the army would be the best course of action.

With these thoughts, I was on my way to my Highschool and today is the day of the Evaluation.

"Hey, Lonesome Lightning!", a voice rang behind me.

Here comes the annoyance...

The person who called me by my ridiculous nickname is Raghav Mehra, a wind mage. He was an average student, with an above average looks and a loud mouth. He is the second unpleasant surprise.

He is from class C. He started irritating me after my nickname started spreading around. After all, I am the only lightning mage among the first years.

Although I don't feel any hidden agendas from the guy, I couldn't find myself getting to recognize him as a friend after that awful first day.

"Hey, are you excited for the test?", Raghav started his rambling. "Of course you are, aren't you Mr. Lonesome Lightning "

"If you insist on speaking so much, at least use my proper name rather than that annoying nickname ", I spoke up.

"OK, as you say... what's your name again?"

"Dude, you can't be serious?", I couldn't help but ask.

"Just kidding, just kidding Ashwin ", he laughed it off.

"Whatever..."

"So, have you decided anything for the internship?", he asked.

"Not yet, but I'd most likely choose the army ", I said casually.

"Oh, then why don't we move in with my state Border patrol ", he suggested.

The Border Patrol does not refer to the Nation Border. It refers the Unit that Gaurds the Border of the Mountainous region.

The mountainous region is collectively called the Yama Ranges, which is different from my world. Yama is referred to the God of death and as the name implies it is a very dangerous region.

The Yama ranges is the collective area surrounded by mountains, inhabited by Demon beasts, untouched by humans. The deeper you go, the more dangerous beasts are discovers. The area is covered by forest, forming a perfect habitat for the monsters.

This is the case throughout the country. The nation has already lost the west and parts of South India to the monsters and reclaiming them back is proven difficult. And so the Border Partrol units are deployed to guard, scout, and if needed, invade the area.
The Gujarat Border Patrol is one of them.

I need to investigate the while area to get my hands on a Shastra. That's also why I became a hunter. But at my current expertise, I can only investigate the city, which was useless. So next would be the Sea and the mountains, and so, I need to choose between the army and navy.

"Have you already reported your plans", I asked Raghav.

"I have, and getting accepted isn't a problem "

That's, right, the Mehra family has a great relationship with the army. So getting him in isn't an issue.

It this world, the top families establish themselves as clans, like the Goenkas. They recruit mages and thereby expanding themselves.

But eve among the top families, some don't form clans. They retain their small numbers but expand as business corporates. The Mehras, that deals with magical weapons research, is one of them.