The Internship Begins

'Again, why am I here of all places ", Ashwin facepalmed as he was already regretting his decision. Why you ask? Because he had to change his internship plan in the last minute.

That happened two days ago.

During the day of submitting the application, Ashwin had decided to try the Border Patrol but then, a rusty old sword started throwing a tantrum, saying it is sensing something by the Sea. Knowing there might be a chance to encounter another shastra, Ashwin had to choice but to apply for the Navy, regrettably so, since he couldn't swim.

"Man, why did you choose the Navy if you couldn't swim ", Raghav asked. He was honestly struggling not to laugh.

"The principal changed it. He said it's better to know about the biggest threat the country is facing first hand", Ashwin lied. Although this was the story the principal himself suggested. After all, he can't go around saying his sword forced him to choose the Navy!

"Well, I think I could help you with that", Raghav said. "I have a pair a magic boots, that can allow you to walk on water. And when underwater, it can propel you forward as well".

"I can't impose on you. And I can't pay you back as well", Ashwin quickly rejected.

"Cmon, we are friends, so it doesn't matter "

"We are?", Ashwin asked, confused

"Dude, that's Cold!"

"I mean seriously. All the first years are wary of me. Why do you take the initiative to be my friend "

"Well, unlike those idiots, I am smart enough to have a good relationship with a lightning mage "

"You mean, to persuade me to join your clan or something? "

"My family is not a clan. And I know you wouldn't join either way. But, I still wanna be your friend. It couldn't hurt to have a strong companion right?"

"How do you infer I am strong?"

"That's easy. I noticed how you glance at other students. You look down on them, even if they ostracize you", Raghav replied casually. "That's what first got me curious about you"

"Should I interpret this as, you buying my friendship with these boots?", Ashwin commented.

"Dude, you can't be serious?!"

"Just kidding ", Ashwin joked as he walked past Raghav, patting his shoulder.

...

'And now here I am, regretting my decision'

The internship program is decided by the Organization. And for Ashwin, who chose navy, it was a patrol. The crew comprising of 10 intermediate mages, commanded by an advance mage are to set out to patrol the Naval border, around 12 Nautical miles from the mainland. Since patrols are overall not dangerous, it is still vital.

After showing his internship ID issued by the Academy, Ashwin boarded the ship. His first priority is to meet up with the captain.

"Come in", a voice answered just after Ashwin knocked on the door.

"Pardon my intrusion ", Ashwin greeted as he entered the cabin. He saw the captain was sitting on the his chair. He seemed to be around thirty. There was also another person standing infront of Ashwin, someone he never expected to come across.

"What are you doing here?", he couldn't help but ask. It was instinctive.

'...'

The person simply glanced at him and turned to face the captain again.